Clown stealing food from Anemone

thearnoldocean

Market
Reaction score
Everytime I try to feed my anemone the clown is taking the food from him. They have been hosting together for about three months with no problems. The clown is not eating the shrimp but just taking it from him and letting it float away. Any one experienced this before?

My clown steals food also but she is a pig and eats it. She has been hosting in this anenome for over a year. She'll try pulling the food right out of its tenticles. The anenome is very big and usually wins. I have no idea why.
Sheryle

You can put a clear glad container over it when you feed it and put a small rock on it.

I have the same problem with two GBTA's and three clown fish. I take a turkey baster and slowly shoot the food in the GBTA 's until they start closing up. The clowns get pissed and disappear for a while.

I can't have an anenome.... My beastly female GSM kills them all. She is so big she just smothers them. She also doesn't give them a chance to attatch, she will still be in the thing snuggling even if it's floating around the tank.

Have you tried feeding the tank just before you feed the anemone?

My wild caught GSM babies her anemone and treats it very well. She will feed the RBTA before she feeds herself. My aquacultered GSM on the other hand will readily steal from it. When the wild female GSM sees her hubby stealing she will snatch it right back from him if possible and feed it again to the anemone. It's quite comical to watch.

Anyways my point is that the captive bred ones just don't appreciate home ownership like the wild ones do.

You should record that behavoir... that would be a nice video to watch.

Mine tries to feed her zoas. Any larger piece of food that hits the water the GSM takes over to the zoas she is currently hosting and spits it at them. I really need to get one of the GBTAs in there for her.

I thought it was normal for the clown to feed their anenome...Ill put a krill in the top of the tank, the clown will go get the krill and place it at the anenomes mouth...Coolest thing

my clown used to take the krill and put it in the anemones mouth and then come back for more. i think she over fed him and killed him.

I have a stick that I would use to skewer the shrimp and feed my anenome with. After feeding, I would use the same stick to beat back my clowns from stealing. I envy Jin's Maroon clown seeing how it feeds his anenome. :(

My Maroon feeds its GBTA and chases away the Peppermints and Sally away from it when they approach.

Back