clown thinks the torch is a nem

danh

Market
Reaction score
My larger clown decided that the torch was going to host it... The torch doesn't really like it. There's a small nem in the tank but it hasn't been there as long and probably isn't really big enough to host the clown yet either. Other than removing the fish or torch, do I h ave any other options to get it to leave the torch alone?

At about :50.
<!-- gcu-updated ame -->https://youtu.be/eIihUWb-w_4<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->

Don't think there is anything you can do...you can try to shoe the clown away when you see it near the torch, but it will always choose the torch until it sees a better option.

you can try moving the torch. Sometimes the clowns will stick to their territory even if their host is moved. Is that a Evo 13.5?

Nah.. 5... I thought that might work. I think I'll have to do that.. The torch seems to be ok, it's just not too happy.

The male is trying to nestle up to the zoas on the rock.. He just knocked a few off actually... Those will be a little harder to move.

Nothing you can do other then physically remove one of them or give the clown something it wants to host more. Moving it very rarely does anything in our experience, especially in such a small aquarium. Very common for clowns to host Euphyllia type corals.

Thanks Jakub. Have you seen the fish hurt the euhpylia?

Danh;1099559 wrote: Thanks Jakub. Have you seen the fish hurt the euhpylia?

Directly no, but they can keep stressing it out to the point that it doesn't want to open up and eat anymore. As long as the torch is opening back up still it is fine, but once you see it closing more. Like over a full day then it is probably getting overly stressed.

It just split to two heads which may have something to do with it. Its only about half as extended as it was before it split and the fish started bothering it. It's open it just doesn't seem like the arms are as long as they used to be.

I had success getting clownfish to host a nem by directing a flashlight at the nem in COMPLETE DARK in my 120 which never hosted for over two years or so I tried and it worked like a charm. No other fishes were interested at the light but they were. Ymmv thought.

The Euphyllia may become accustomed to it. If it doesn't there's a chance it will stay retracted to its own detriment, but there's not much you can do short of removing one or the other, like Jakub said.

Jenn

Project I don't really think the nem is ready to host it. This girl is being pretty rough with the torch. I don't think the small nem would fare well with her either.

I'll keep an eye on it and remove the torch if it starts looking bad.

Back