clownfish in overflow

mikeup6

Market
Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to catch her? She just dives for the bottom whenever I stick the net in (which barely fits in the overflow any way). I'm hoping for an easy solution.

How big is the overflow?

You might try submerging a clear 2 liter soda bottle.

Cut off the top and the neck of the bottle, punch some holes in it and tie strings to rim of the bottle. If your clown hangs out at the surface like mine do when they're in the overflow, you can lift the bottle when she's at the top of the water and hope that when she swims down as you lift, into the bottle she goes.

last time it happened to someone I know, I just put a net and small tupper ware thing under the overflow and took out the stand pipe.

what type of overflow do you have. some allow you to just pull out the drain pipe from within the overflow. obviously this will add 2~3 to your sump but you can do it if need be. The fish should then can be easily caught with a net during the flush :). Can you see i've done this before ;-)

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to construct a basket that would sit in the overflow and could be easily lifted out to remove a fish? Wouldn't have to be deep--but would need to be snug against the sides.

Anyone ever tried this?

I have clowns in a nano that tend to jump the divider and get back into the filter section from time to time. I think I'll make a little plastic canvas basket to float in there and see how it works. Getting a clown out of those nano chambers can be a royal pain sometimes!

Back