Clownfish killing anemones?

triggerhappy8

Market
Reaction score
I had read a few weeks ago on some saltwater fish message board (can't remember if it was here or one of the many others) that a clownfish that is too large for an anemone that tries to host it can actually kill an anemone. I hadn't thought anything of it until today. I recently got a very large (4.5" or so) maroon clown from another very generous reefer on here (thanks Mike!). Today he decided that his cave that he had staked out wasn't good enough and started anemone diving. My GBTA is not small per se but is about 4" diameter. This clown was devestating this poor guy and he was all shriveled up. Will he eventually get used to the clown hosting him or is he slowly killing my anemone?

He should get used to it.. Just make sure the anemone is still getting food if you are feeding it..

I had a big big clown that grew too large for the tank and is actually causing my Anemone to close up; i just gaved him away. I would suggest you get a large one for the clow or get a smaller clown. I'm pretty sure that clow is too big for its host.

The rule of thumb is that the anemone should be at LEAST twice as large as the clown that's hosting it. I've heard of many cases where the clown kills the anemone where the anemone is just too small to sustain it. They just love it to death...

What do you like more? My friend has a pair of Maroons and the female is the biggest clown I have ever seen at least 6 inches. He had to get a huge carpet anenome for her because she woould kill everything else.

Back