Clownfish Mixing

alikat

Market
Reaction score
I'm getting a pair of pink skunks tomorrow and have to decide which tank to put them in. I have a 55 gallon tall that currently has a couple of small onyx clowns (still very young) in it. I want both sets of clowns to spawn, but the onyx are at least a couple of years away from that.

This is a mated pair of pink skunks. Should I put them in the 55 with the onyx clowns or put them in my 14 gallon biocube where they will be by themselves? In which tank would they be more likely to spawn?

Thanks!

Thats a hard one.I would Imagine that a tank by themselves would be the way to go. I doubt you would have problems with them in the 55 with the onyx pair as far as aggression goes,but they may act differently in that situation.This is a wild guess on my part,since you can never really tell how fish are going to react/adapt in a new tank.

Theyll probably just fight constantly if you put them in the same tank. I vote to put the in speerate tanks. I think you'll have much more success at spawning also.

Do you plan to raise the fry? That is a serious effort, so be prepared.

jmaneyapanda;98502 wrote: Theyll probably just fight constantly if you put them in the same tank.

Really,are the skunk clowns aggressive? I was under the Impression that both of these types of clowns are relatively passive? I plan on putting a pair of onyx clowns in with my established set of percula's that I have now in a 125 for now. Now you got me thinking?

For Spawning I would put them in there own tank either way,that way there are less chances of the eggs being damaged/eaten.

I have a pair of Seabae clowns and a single True Percula and they are getting along fine. I just added the True and they accepted it as one of their own. They are all about the same size, 2".

46bfinga;98507 wrote: Really,are the skunk clowns aggressive? I was under the Impression that both of these types of clowns are relatively passive? I plan on putting a pair of onyx clowns in with my established set of percula's that I have now in a 125 for now. Now you got me thinking?

For Spawning I would put them in there own tank either way,that way there are less chances of the eggs being damaged/eaten.

Its that clowns are aggressive. Even a docile clown is a damsel in the hiding. Except is a very large tank, I think mixing clowns is very risky, especially if you are pairing them. They do not like company.

i would think they would be ok and the only reason i say that is because they look very different if you wauld have said onyx and false percs than yes but you might get away with itif not you can always take them out

They may look different to you... but does that really matter? A clownfish knows when another fish is a clownfish.

These are fairly gentle fish that don't handle aggression well. However, the exception to that gentleness is to conspecific clowns. You may get them to live peacefully at first, but eventually when it becomes sexy time or they reach an age/size where they want their own territory... you'll get some fighting which many times won't be resolved without a death or removal.

In order to make this work, as Jeremy said you usually need a very large tank to allow them to setup their own separate territories. It's also helps to introduce the pairs at the same time. That being said, there are always exceptions to the general rules... but although you suspect there is peace between different species and their interaction, it unfortunately probably won't last :(.

Victor626nj;98552 wrote: i would think they would be ok and the only reason i say that is because they look very different if you wauld have said onyx and false percs than yes but you might get away with itif not you can always take them out

I thought the same thing years ago and mixed GSM's W/ Percs. It wasn't pretty.

Back