Clownfish pairing?

rdrink25

Market
Reaction score
Looking to get a mate for Black O can I get a black Ice and they get along?

just get either a bigger mate, or a smaller mate. if you get the same size theres a good chance theyll fight.

When pairing clowns, I always would put a smaller potential mate.

A larger clown or one that has been alone for a while, either is, or is on its way to becoming female.

A juvenile will certainly be male.

Over the years I had a handful of attempted pairings that just didn't work, where the female just would not accept the 'arranged marriage', but the majority of the time, they'd pair off in fairly short order.

Jenn

JennM;993803 wrote: When pairing clowns, I always would put a smaller potential mate.

A larger clown or one that has been alone for a while, either is, or is on its way to becoming female.

A juvenile will certainly be male.

Over the years I had a handful of attempted pairings that just didn't work, where the female just would not accept the 'arranged marriage', but the majority of the time, they'd pair off in fairly short order.

Jenn

+1 What she said.....I also would take the female out and pair them up in a neutral area then about 3-5 days they can be relocated to the main tank...Works for me everytime

If you don't have a 'neutral' tank, try rearranging the rocks/decor in the female (or would be female's) tank when you introduce the juvenile (male).

A bit of sparring/aggression is normal. The female literally stresses the male into remaining male. Most times it's all for show, and no damage is done to the smaller clown.

As I mentioned, I had a few occasions where the female just would not tolerate the juvenile placed with her, and if she started doing any damage, we removed the smaller clown.

Then I'd either try again with another juvenile, or leave her as a single lady. I had a couple of females that just did not want anything to do with any other clown.

As long as they're the same specie, chances are good of a pairing. There are a few species that will hybridize (ie A. ocellaris x A. percula) as they are very similar. There are some strong opinions about that one way or another, I'll leave that for another day. Generally though as long as they're the same specie you have a decent shot at getting a pair.

I've even re-paired a mature clown after losing its mate. Last year when I lost my 12-year-old male A. ocellaris, I managed to pair his mate who was also 12, with a younger man ;)

Jenn

Back