Clowns and Anenome Question

chauwall

Market
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a rose bulb anenome and wondering if my ocellaris clown will host it? The clown has never attempted to host anything: I've got a frogspawn, bubble coral, return pipe :)etc. What do ya think?

Or could I get another more aggressive clownfish of another species say maroon with the anenome to add to the tank? My ocellaris is pretty aggressive towards any chromis I added to the tank. But he's a lamb with everyone else. I think he may freak out to see another clown though? I heard maroons are pretty mean.

Chau, I wouldn't try to mx a maroon clown with an ocellaris, the ocellaris will loose that battle. I think ocellaris hosting in a BTA is an iffy thing and may happen right away, may take a while or may never happen.

I have had a pair of black and white ocellaris in my 120G for a couple of weeks and they haven't even looked at the RBTA. Although I expect they may sometime in the future. When I added a GBTA to my 24G my female maroon clown dove into it before I even set it down. She squeezed between my fingers to get into it. Part of the problem is that maroons naturally host BTAs in the wild but ocellaris do not.

<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Getting clowns to host can be tough and may never happen. Tank raised clowns don't understand they are supposed to be in the anemone... You can try putting the clowns and the anemone in a really small tank together for some time (I have heard this has had promising results. You could also put a set of known hosting clowns (like true Percs) in the tank for a while. Once you take the TPs out your clowns will have seen what they are supposed to do, and they just might move in... If all else fails, put a picture of my clowns hosting on the side of your tank and hope for the best... At least that way you will get to see some nice clowns hosting </span></span></span>:D ;)

flamenemwithclown.jpg
alt="" />

Cap bay always basket trained their clowns to the nems with great success. All clowns host something as its their nature to do so. Putting them in a small basket with the nem just gives them one option which they pretty much have no choice but to take to.

Harleyguy;216213 wrote: <span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Getting clowns to host can be tough and may never happen. Tank raised clowns don't understand they are supposed to be in the anemone... You can try putting the clowns and the anemone in a really small tank together for some time (I have heard this has had promising results. You could also put a set of known hosting clowns (like true Percs) in the tank for a while. Once you take the TPs out your clowns will have seen what they are supposed to do, and they just might move in... If all else fails, put a picture of my clowns hosting on the side of your tank and hope for the best... At least that way you will get to see some nice clowns hosting </span></span></span>:D ;)

flamenemwithclown.jpg
alt="" />

Nice shot!

Budsreef;216198 wrote: Chau, I wouldn't try to mx a maroon clown with an ocellaris, the ocellaris will loose that battle. I think ocellaris hosting in a BTA is an iffy thing and may happen right away, may take a while or may never happen.

I have had a pair of black and white ocellaris in my 120G for a couple of weeks and they haven't even looked at the RBTA. Although I expect they may sometime in the future. When I added a GBTA to my 24G my female maroon clown dove into it before I even set it down. She squeezed between my fingers to get into it. Part of the problem is that maroons naturally host BTAs in the wild but ocellaris do not.

Bud, I'm more worried that the ocellaris will attack the new clown. Not the other way around. So I guess you're saying that over time, the maroon will kick some ocellaris butt? I guess a 120 is not big enough territory for 2 clown species.

chauwall;216309 wrote: Bud, I'm more worried that the ocellaris will attack the new clown. Not the other way around. So I guess you're saying that over time, the maroon will kick some ocellaris butt? I guess a 120 is not big enough territory for 2 clown species.

Yep, if you add a maroon it will come out ahead. I think you can mix other clowns, but not maroons. They are very territorial and don't even like each other. A 120G might be big enough but I'm not sure I would take the chance. Hopefully, others will chime in on their experience with trying this.

Back