CO2 Bubble Counter Water Level Falling

oz

Market
Reaction score
So the water level in my bubble counter is slowly lowering day by day. In another week or so, the water level will be at the level of the bubbles being released. Also, my CO2 controller may be stuck since the bubbles are consistent regardless of if it's plugged in or not.

Every now and then the drips will stop from the output and I have to blow into it to create back pressure for it to start again.

Any ideas before I break it taking it apart?

Water levels fall in bubble counters. Some probabaly leaves as water vapor withthe CO2. I had to refill mine on my CO2 injected platn tanks. Nothing abnormal about that. GEO reactor counters are self filling, so they use tank water. Otherwise, you get a syringe, attach some airline tubing to it, remove the CO2 "in" to your counter, and inject some new water to the level you need.

Solenoids will have some residual bubbles released right after shutoff due to residual pressure in the line, but if it is continuous, then you have either something stuck in the solenoid, or a defective solenoid.

You might try removing the CO2 tubing from the outside of the solenoid, then blasting some gas thru it. This might dislodge anything stuck inside.
Dave

Good idea - i'll shut off the bottle and shoot tank water back down into the airline tubing. thanks.

At least CO2 regs are fairly cheap (as far as reef equipment goes), in case it is bad.

I wouldn't put tank water anywhere near the CO2 air line or bubble counter. Use only fresh water. And BTW, I loose the bubble counter water every 3 weeks or so. Completely normal.

Oz;342716 wrote: Good idea - i'll shut off the bottle and shoot tank water back down into the airline tubing. thanks.

Maybe I didn't state myself properly? Blast some co2 thru the solenoid with the line from the solenoid to the reactor disconnected to dislodge anything blocking the solenoid. Refill your bubble counter with fresh water as needed.

Thanks for the clarification. RO water to refill it, cool.

ares;342771 wrote: you can actually buy bubble counter uhhh stuff? I dont know what it is actually, oil or something, though its not harmful. but should assist with the evaporation thing.

I dont personally use it, as topping it off with some water isnt a big deal, infact to be honest, I dont even really need to see the bubbles... if you have a controller once its set, its kind of forget about it...

It is some kind of oil. Supposed to last longer than water, but I never wanted to risk it getting into the tank. Folks with planted tanks use it. I like having a visual bubble count, just for my own peace of mind if nothing else.

Also My bubble counter on my Knop reactor is seperate from the silinoid. There are 2 one way valves on each side of it (TOP AND BOTTOM OF BUBBLE COUNTER) one of these vavles could be bad letting that water to run back into the line from the CO2. Thats how mine is set up

Get the bubble counter fluid. You'll probably never need to refill it again. I believe it is glycerol. Pretty inert stuff.

Back