CO2 Tank and a gun shot...

jhutto

Reaction score
Put my calcium reactor in place and turned it on tonight with a freshly filled CO2 tank. Got it all adjusted with controller and appropriate bubbles per minute. It cycled on and off a couple times in about 15 minutes or so. Everything checked out and was getting ready to leave room....BOOM! as it sounded like a gun going off. Needless to say I jumped and think my pants are a little wetter....The safety valve on the back of erupted then tank started spewing CO2. No way to turn it off. Lost an entire tank....of CO2. What caused it? How do I prevent from happening again?

Joe

WOW, Never heard that before but I would have
a> my pants and started looking for a water leak. That sucks.

we had that happen in the rock quarry....they said the tankwas to full and blew out the enternal safety seal

FWIW I'd go back to whoever filled that tank and gripe at them-you should get your tank re-filled for free (unless you were the one to fill it, which I doubt-lol)

ericmcj31;343950 wrote: FWIW I'd go back to whoever filled that tank and gripe at them-you should get your tank re-filled for free (unless you were the one to fill it, which I doubt-lol)

I agree, they have at least one, sometimes two saftey disks that will rupture as you described. They supplier should be happy to replace it, since it was either a faulty disk, or overfilled. I really dont think it could have been your fault. Assuming it actually was that disk.

Good news! I took it back to the company and they wanted to know which one of their guys filled it as it was too full. They said they would get it repaired as the safety was blown. They gave me a filled tank while they fixed mine. Its now hooked up and working.

Joe

WoW! I'm just glad to hear ther you were not hurt. Could you imagin that thing going off with your face too close to it??? Ouch!

Praxir across from Marine Designs (LFS) is where I got it filled. Its working fine now.

Back