CO2

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
Does anyone use CO2 canisters with regulator/injector to automatically control pH?

On calcium reactors they are used to lower the pH inside the reaction chamber.
The CO2 injected forms carbonic acid, which dissolves the calcium carbonate and releases calcium plus bicarbonate, which go into the aquarium.

So they aren’t used separately for tank pH control, is that what you’re saying? Only for use in Ca+ reactor?

In a marine aquarium we are trying to maintain a high pH, around ~8.0 - 8.2.

Injecting CO2 into water spontaneously forms carbonic acid, which lowers pH.

In a calcium reactor this is used in a unique process, with the following steps-
1- CO2 forms carbonic acid (drops pH)
2- carbonic acid dissolves calcium carbonate, producing calcium ions & bicarbonate
3- bicarbonate released increases alkalinity (buffering) which raises pH. The calcium ions return to the aquarium, available to organisms/corals.

With calcium reactors you can get away with using the CO2, because the bicarbonate released offsets what the carbonic acid does initially.

Using CO2 by itself is a one way pH change (down).

Exactly the opposite of what I want. I have outside air coming in to the skimmer but struggle to get and keep my pH to 8’ but right now my calcium reads on the high side (according to Hanna tester 550) but I don’t dose or supplement so not sure why it reads that. My salt guaranteed analysis I believe is 350-450. We have a lot of humans and several 4 legged family members so the CO2 levels in my house are probably contributing to the lower pH (ding dongs, that just dawned on me that adding more CO2 would not be helpful!).
Oh well I will figure something out. I open our windows as often as possible to get more fresh air in but it has little effect on the pH of the tanks.

Back