Cobalt Neotherm - exploded

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
I thought these heaters were supposed to be indestructible???? Mine exploded this morning. I started preparing for a water change, by filling a 5 gallon bucket with water, adding a power head and this heater and then plugging everything up. A minute or two go by, and boom followed by smoke. After taking a look at the heater, there is a nice crack going down the length of the heater.

It is a little over a year old, so I guess it was time to replace anyways. I really liked this heater until now: a little disappointed.

Happened to me too. Smike, bubbles, shocking everything. I had 5 of these. Only failure, but now I am leery.

Have you contacted the manufacturer about this?

I believe they have a really good warranty - and if there is a failure due to a manufacturing defect, they won't know until people start telling them.

That's the first I hear of such a failure, but that's serious.

Jenn

jennm;1031715 wrote: have you contacted the manufacturer about this?

I believe they have a really good warranty - and if there is a failure due to a manufacturing defect, they won't know until people start telling them.

That's the first i hear of such a failure, but that's serious.

Jenn

+1

Hmmmm this is no good. 2nd one now that I'm hearing of "exploding".

And I do not think that a heater being a year old justifies it being OK or even time for a replacement. A good quality heater should last 3-5 years imo.

Just like Jenn said I would absolutely contact the manufacturer. There is warranty and they have great customer service... but jeez... I would be nervous picking up a 2nd one.

Jakub

mine recently went out..they have a 3yr warranty..so def contact the manufacturer..at least your tank didnt explode like my JBJ did..

Make that three!

Sunday night around 1AM the breaker on the circuit with my main tank tripped. Then it would trip intermittently over the next day. Yesterday, I thought I had isolated the issue to the Sicce pump that fed the tank in my son's room. When I plugged that pump in, the breaker would trip-- not always immediately, but within 15 minutes or so.

Today I pulled that pump out and was installing a new feed line tapped off the main manifold, when I reached into my son's tank to adjust the locline and ZAP!!!! There was only a 200W Neotherm and a Koralia in his tank, so I unplugged the Koralia-- ZAP! Unplugged the Neotherm and... nothing. I pulled the Neotherm and immediately could smell a burnt smell. The end had split and epoxy was leaking out. This is a 200W Neotherm. I haven't heard of any other models having an issue. Luckily, I don't have any losses (yet), though the critters in my son's tank don't look happy.

If you have a 200W Neotherm in your tank PULL IT OUT NOW!!!

MorganAtlanta;1034065 wrote: Make that three!

Sunday night around 1AM the breaker on the circuit with my main tank tripped. Then it would trip intermittently over the next day. Yesterday, I thought I had isolated the issue to the Sicce pump that fed the tank in my son's room. When I plugged that pump in, the breaker would trip-- not always immediately, but within 15 minutes or so.

Today I pulled that pump out and was installing a new feed line tapped off the main manifold, when I reached into my son's tank to adjust the locline and ZAP!!!! There was only a 200W Neotherm and a Koralia in his tank, so I unplugged the Koralia-- ZAP! Unplugged the Neotherm and... nothing. I pulled the Neotherm and immediately could smell a burnt smell. The end had split and epoxy was leaking out. This is a 200W Neotherm. I haven't heard of any other models having an issue. Luckily, I don't have any losses (yet), though the critters in my son's tank don't look happy.

If you have a 200W Neotherm in your tank PULL IT OUT NOW!!!

Yep there seems to be issues with the 200w models. Same thing happened to me and they replaced it with 2 100W models. they have been working great ever since.

Apex reads the temp at 76.0 degree's (+/- .1 degrees)

DRJETT;1034066 wrote: Yep there seems to be issues with the 200w models. Same thing happened to me and they replaced it with 2 100W models. they have been working great ever since.

Apex reads the temp at 76.0 degree's (+/- .1 degrees)

'They' replaced it? Meaning Cobalt?

Yeah, there are a lot of reviews on BRS that have stated the issues with the 200w version...

a>

I like the form factor of this brand but I just got done reading about a slew of bad experiences on Reef Central - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2376715&highlight=cobalt+neotherm">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2376715&highlight=cobalt+neotherm</a>

Seems it's mostly the 200W but some 150W as well. My LFS is recommending this but I just can't go with it after all the bad reviews.

Back