Collected my own Sand. Questions?

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
Have a couple of questions:

I was down in the bahamas this weekend and I collected some sand for the new tank. The sand was collected about 100yds from the nearest shoreline. Not a beach or anything just an unpopular sand bar with lots of sting rays.

Right now I have it in 5 gallon buckets it its own ocean water with lids.

1) How long will that sand stay good for in the buckets?

2) Whats the best way to clean it before using it? Do I have to clean it? It looked pretty clean.

It's probably already dead. Just rinse it out really good. I personally would rinse it.

I collected it yesterday at about 6pm so its barely 24 hrs old.

I dont mind cycling, I actually have patience for that part....lol.....

curious though...the live sand that you buy at the LFS in a bag....that has no oxygen or aeration.....how does that stay alive?

Jgoal55;365697 wrote: I collected it yesterday at about 6pm so its barely 24 hrs old.

I dont mind cycling, I actually have patience for that part....lol.....

curious though...the live sand that you buy at the LFS in a bag....that has no oxygen or aeration.....how does that stay alive?
It doesn't really, some things stay "alive" untill the experation date but most things die and that is what causes a cycle.

so the whole "instant cycling" part of the live sands is kind of bull??? I mean I know better and when I used it last time I still cycled....im just wondering how they pull that off?

should I go ahead and just drain the water from the buckets and leave the lids off? I imagine its possible for the sand to rot and start smelling like you know what???

I dont plan on using it for another 1-2 mos.

I would rinse it and dry it out.

Seed it when your ready to use it or you could put it in a tote with a powerhead and heater.

Seedless Reefer;365811 wrote: you could put it in a tote with a powerhead and heater.

If this works, I may do that....I have the room and the place.....wouldnt need a heater either cause it would be outdoors? Is that a problem? roof over it so no direct sun or rain.

I would be weary using the sand as-is. There can be all sorts of nasties in there that you don't want in your tank. Beneficial bacteria and pods are EASY to get started, and there's not much more that you want with the sand. I would nuke it, then use it.

Btw, you're steadily but surely becoming the cheapest member :)

lol....yeah....starting your own business in a bad economy sucks!

Actually though, the sand thing was kind of fun only because its kind of cool to have something in your tank that you collected....eventually, Ill put a fish I catch in there. I looked for royal grammas but didnt see any this trip....hoepfully next.

ares;365849 wrote: little bleach in there, let it sit for a while, then spread it out on a plastic sheet in the sun. leave it to dry for a day or 2, then put it back into the buckets nice and white and dry.

thats how Id handle it anyway. Id also pick through it and remove any nasties I find while its spread out thin.

Bleach? wont that stay in the sand? that sounds scary to me. Is there really a need for it? I imagine if its out of the water long enough the anything too harmful should die anyway no?

Jgoal55;365864 wrote: Bleach? wont that stay in the sand? that sounds scary to me. Is there really a need for it? I imagine if its out of the water long enough the anything too harmful should die anyway no?

Bleach will break down into it's 2 components: salt and water. Once the sand is dry, a simple rinse will remove the residue.

I've used sand that I questioned for a new tank start up. I spread about 1/2" on a cookie sheet and baked it for 1 hour @ 400ºF. Dried it out and should have croaked everything in it. Used it and cycled tank normally. The best way I have found to quickly cycle a tank is with Live rock from a tank you know is in good condition and person is breaking it down. I've cycled tanks in a week this way. 20 to 30 years ago it used to take me 13 weeks to cycle no matter what I tried. (no LR though)

I have never had any luck using the packaged or bottled snake oil stuff. Tried all kinds that LFSs said "this will work". Not for me just wasted money.

cool...thanks guys......

if i decide to dry this sand out i have to find the best way to do this.....maybe on a tarp or something. Its 200lbs of sand or more

Back