College Student Group needing our help

ActiveAngel

Contest Committee Lead
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Student “Grand Challenges” Group seeking Equipment Donations to Develop Eco-tourism Kits to Help Restore Dying Coral Reefs

So I met with a group of students from Georgia Tech doing a ‘Grand Challenges’ program. As for my understanding; I believe they have undertaken the task of developing a solution for the rehabilitation of natural coral reefs.

I believe their current goal is to develop a purchasable kit, that users (possessing scuba certifications) can purchase and use to help place frags in reefs. To do so, they first intend to set up a reef tank in order to help develop first hand experience in working with living corals.

I’ve met with them for a couple of hours yesterday and answered a bunch of questions. They are developing their strategy right now. And they truly are in the very very beginning of their journey. And as we all know, healthy tanks take a while to become mature, so I think it’s great they are starting so early!

I’m posting on here because I’d like to draw attention to their cause. If anybody has any tanks, feeding-troughs, or equipment they would like to donate (or sell for ultra cheap), I know they would greatly appreciate it. Like most areas in education, they are under-funded, which poses a significant challenge to them making scientific breakthroughs that can actually help the reefs.

I will forward any messages to them for the meantime. Additionally, I will ask them to create an ARC profile for their group, and they I’ll link them to this post so they can talk to all of y’all directly!

Thank you for reading! And have a great day everybody!!!

I'm very interested in this and would love to get more info. @triggins04 & I will be active participants in a program like this if we are allowed / able.

The first thing I'm overly curious about is how do they intend to handle overcoming regulations about people just putting "stuff" in the ocean - which is how this could be viewed without the proper permits and local area government support.

How can I, as a diving tourist, take a kit to south Florida (outside of any protected areas of course) and transplant coral grown at a college in Georgia without violating any rules, laws or local regulations - as well as guarantee that I'm not introducing any pests or invasive species?

I'm sure they have that stuff sorted out - I'd love to see the plan.

How soon do they need equipment? I would LOVE to get this canopy and stand off of my front porch! I have the tank but it is damaged but maybe intelligent and eager college students could figure out how to make it more water worthy. Even though I just paid $250 for it I'm willing to sell it for $60 and could deliver it too for the cost of gasoline.

Attachments

• 20200121_172510.jpg
    20200121_172510.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200114_202259.jpg
    20200114_202259.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200121_172454.jpg
    20200121_172454.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200121_172439.jpg
    20200121_172439.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200121_172429.jpg
    20200121_172429.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200114_202801.jpg
    20200114_202801.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200119_161814.jpg
    20200119_161814.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200114_202741.jpg
    20200114_202741.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200121_172520.jpg
    20200121_172520.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200114_202332.jpg
    20200114_202332.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Hey everyone, this is Lily (@Lily Tso ). She’s one of the individuals working on this, and can correct any mistakes I’ve made in wording their initiative!

The first thing I'm overly curious about is how do they intend to handle overcoming regulations about people just putting "stuff" in the ocean - which is how this could be viewed without the proper permits and local area government support.

How can I, as a diving tourist, take a kit to south Florida (outside of any protected areas of course) and transplant coral grown at a college in Georgia without violating any rules, laws or local regulations - as well as guarantee that I'm not introducing any pests or invasive species?

I'm sure they have that stuff sorted out - I'd love to see the plan.

I think they are more in the “What” portion of their planning, but will be determining the “how” part soon. Additionally, they may be seeking to determine scientific feasibility at the moment. And if they can make a proof of concept, it can be pitched to different national and international organizations. ...but that’s my speculation based off the little I know.

Hello! First off, thank you so much for the overwhelming support! Currently I am working with a research group at Georgia Tech with the hope to restore coral by improving the transplantation process. At the moment, we are looking on creating a "kit" that we can market to hotel and dive resorts as a way of ecotourism. Because of this, the coral would be planted in dive resort coral reefs in order to increase coral growth specifically in those areas.

Our next step is to create our own coral tank to aid in our research of creating the kit and making it feasible for those who have never transplanted coral to do so in a safe way. We also want a tank to learn more about coral in a hands on way and allow ourselves to get closer to corals.

As you all well know, coral tanks are very expensive and our research group is only allocated $200. Any materials that would help us set up this tank would be greatly appreciated. We would also be willing to meet you anywhere to pick up any materials.

Hello! First off, thank you so much for the overwhelming support! Currently I am working with a research group at Georgia Tech with the hope to restore coral by improving the transplantation process. At the moment, we are looking on creating a "kit" that we can market to hotel and dive resorts as a way of ecotourism. Because of this, the coral would be planted in dive resort coral reefs in order to increase coral growth specifically in those areas.

Our next step is to create our own coral tank to aid in our research of creating the kit and making it feasible for those who have never transplanted coral to do so in a safe way. We also want a tank to learn more about coral in a hands on way and allow ourselves to get closer to corals.

As you all well know, coral tanks are very expensive and our research group is only allocated $200. Any materials that would help us set up this tank would be greatly appreciated. We would also be willing to meet you anywhere to pick up any materials.
See my post above regarding tank/stand/canopy for sale cheap

See my post above regarding tank/stand/canopy for sale cheap

How many gallons is it, just for curiosity? Is it 6’ long?

@Lily Tso I think this will probably be the best deal for y’all... if you decide to go for a display tank. It appears to be drilled already with a corner overflow. So not only can it satisfy your research purposes, but it will look good too. I’m sure you must talk with your advisor, and find a place on campus to put this tank. It appears to be about the size of my long reef tank, just FYI. But that will mean your water parameters will be well stabilized rather than using a smaller tank.

And since I’m already here, I’m happy to help co-manage it’s setup... and make sure y’all are on a good track to get it up and running.

Hi

Lily, Have you gotten in touch with Coral Restoration Foundation yet? They should be able to help you get some of the initial information you may be looking for. Their organization replants coral in the Key's. Another place to look is Walt Smith International They had one of the most successful replanting programs to to date. That is until Figi shut down all exporting. Between these two you should be able to get a better grasp if your initiative is feasible or not.

Please keep us up to date with your progress. This sounds like a great idea.

How many gallons is it, just for curiosity? Is it 6’ long?

@Lily Tso I think this will probably be the best deal for y’all... if you decide to go for a display tank. It appears to be drilled already with a corner overflow. So not only can it satisfy your research purposes, but it will look good too. I’m sure you must talk with your advisor, and find a place on campus to put this tank. It appears to be about the size of my long reef tank, just FYI. But that will mean your water parameters will be well stabilized rather than using a smaller tank.

And since I’m already here, I’m happy to help co-manage it’s setup... and make sure y’all are on a good track to get it up and running.
Sorry I should have specified in my post.
125g
72" x 18" x 24"
Has small sump and acrylic tank covers

Hi

Lily, Have you gotten in touch with Coral Restoration Foundation yet? They should be able to help you get some of the initial information you may be looking for. Their organization replants coral in the Key's. Another place to look is Walt Smith International They had one of the most successful replanting programs to to date. That is until Figi shut down all exporting. Between these two you should be able to get a better grasp if your initiative is feasible or not.

Please keep us up to date with your progress. This sounds like a great idea.
Yes, I have gotten into contact with the Coral Restoration Foundation. I have not heard of the Walt Smith Internation however, so thank you; I will get into contact with them soon. Thank you!

Maybe if we started a wish list of items needed for the 125 gal tank, that might help get things rolling on that front.

I have a 100 gallon Rubbermaid type trough that I will gladly donate. It would make a great sump, growout tank, etc. I also have a large Jaebo powerhead with adjustable flow pattern that I'll throw in. Don't remember the model number right now but it moves lots of water.

Last edited:
Back