Colony vs Frag

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Ok gang, I was going to run this as a poll but couldn't think of enough options so it's going to be a regular old thread. A friend and fellow reefer asked me this question and it got me thinking:

What the difference between a "colony" and a "Frag"?

I'm not talking about the obvious ones. A small 1" stick is a frag and a softball sized acro is colony. I'm more interested in when does a frag turning in to a colony? I sometimes post items for sale that I refer to as mini-colonies and I'm wondering what other folks think fits that bill. Here's what I use as a reference, please tell me what you think and if I need to work on my definitions.

Frag - a frag is a piece of coral that has been removed from a larger piece and is healed up. Some new growth has been seen but it's still small. Typically in the 1"-3" range for the branching types and under 2" for encrusting. The key for me is that a "frag" can't be divided or fragged into anything else. I think of a frag as the smallest coral unit. It's a stand alone thing and what a lot of us start with. For LPS a frag would be 1-3 mouths/polyps with apparent healing. I don't have a whole lot of experience with zoas but I suppose a zoa frag would be similar to LPS with 1-3 heads.
Mini-colony - a mini colony is larger and could be divided into 2 or more frags. In my mind, the key difference between a mini-colony and a colony is that when you frag a mini-colony, you're left with only frags. For example, I sold some larger duncans that I labelled as "mini-colonies" because they had 4+ mature heads with a few smaller one's. With a band saw, it could be cut into one or two frags but that would be it.
Colony - a colony is a larger coral that can be trimmed into a few frags AND still have a "mother" that would at least be a mini colony. I recently sold a green bird's nest and I could have easily taken quite a few decent sized frags from it and still had a nice mini-colony left behind to grow out. Colonies can be pretty large but if they're fragged, there's still a good sized piece left over.

So, what do you guys think? These are definitions that I've been using and completely subjective. I'm not looking to argue my definitions; I just want to see what y'all think. I kind of feel onto this line of thought so tell me what comes to your mind when you hear or see items referred to with these different monikers.

I think that sounds pretty spot on IMO. Good write up for easy clarification

Clarification
Locally yes, I would agree 100%

However from the vendors online
1/2” of stick
3/8” of encrusting
1 eye of a chalice

All frags

1” tall forked branch is a mini colony
1” encrusting
5 eyes of a chalice

All mini colony

Anything bigger and there are mortgages involved

Granted this is not all but I’ve ordered from some (and 1 I really like) where you open the box and it’s almost depressing but they look great.

I have 1 that every frag is a mini colony and all at local prices but he’s getting out for a while. He got me spoiled and cut me off.

Back