Color loss in corals

sstraub5150

Market
Reaction score
I purchased a couple of frags of acropora a few days ago and they are starting to loose color. I have a 24 gallon tank with a 150 watt halide and I use a 14k bulb. I set them close to the top and there is plenty of current and my pocillopora is doing well but I cant keep an acro to save my life. Any ideas?

Is it browning or turning white? Porcilaporas are extremly easy to keep...What is the flow in the tank and what are your paramaters?

Brown. I have 2 korilia powerheads coming at a v towards the front of the tank. I keep salinity at about 1.027-29, calcium is about 400 and alk I dont measure.

If they are brown it is typically a light or phos issue...They turn brown to be able to accept more light (you get the point i can say it just not type it) someone on here helped me out with this issue...what was the original color suppose to be....blues require a crap load of light typically...oh and yes salinity is high 1.023-1.025 is best

Salinity is high, when it reaches 0.030, things start dying. I wasn't aware my salinity was high, and my nem died. Went to go get my water tested, 0.030..... that was a terrible time for me!

salinity is fine, just a tad high.

how about phoshates? your light is fine.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php">http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php</a>

[IMG]http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php</a>

impossible. you just don't have a test kit that measures low range phates. Phates should be below 0.028 for acro.

Marinedepot.com

Only DD Merck, HACH, and colormeter measure that low. do u have any algae at all? Cyno? What is your trates?

If your going to Keep SPS test your ALK. Or plan on having them die every now and then. If you have any kind of algae growing at all you've got phatea, like said before.

Good luck

I had all that tested and its great. Alk, calcium, ammonia, ph, etc. I have adjusted the salinity to 1.025 so we'll see hoe it goes and the bulb is relatively new not more than 2 months on it.

As you can probably see from all the above posts, SPS are a new ballgame in coral keeping, and if you have no experience (or even if you do) you probably would benefit from a lot of reading and very careful monitoring of your parameters. SPS are generally more difficult to keep, or at least keeping good, until you get your tank spot on. I have a lot of SPS that are growing well, but I still lose one occasionally, and find it hard to keep certain species for some unknown reason, like digitata.

As Mysterybox said, you will probably benefit from high quality test kits. You can also use an ELOS phosphate and Nitrate kit to get better resolution. Not as good as the ones listed, but probably good enough, and much cheaper. They are available online or locally at Einsteins Aquatics.

IMO, for SPS, you should be very familiar with what your Alkalinity, Nitrates, and Phosphates are at all times (aside from the obvious salinity, ph, temp, etc). Obviously there are more things to be concerned with, but get these in order first, and you can work on the others as you go.

Also, very good tank housekeeping will help, such as consistent waterchanges, equipment maintenance, etc. There are obviously trace elements made available when you do a WC that the SPS can appreciate.

Just throwing that out there, and perhaps you already know all this, but it will greatly help you keep SPS successfully. Other than that, it is just a learning curve. Dont get discouraged if you lose a few. If you were a little closer I would gladly run some tests for you. Perhaps someone nearby you can take a look and do some tests. Sometimes the secret is just 2 heads instead of one.

when you get all your paramaters inline also after that do small things and wait a week, if you aren't losing any just color loss, before doing something else that way you can make a mental note as to what auctually benefitted you...Like Upgrading to an xm 20k bulb let it sit a week if nothing was to gain out of that then try moving the coral 3inches up or down wait a week...with sps the color loss and gain takes a week or so to adjust...I have always thought that with birdsnest (pink kind) that you just pound them with light and flow and they grow...so i put them up at the highest point they started to bleach...moved them down it went brown, i am still in the works of finding the perfect spot for them for optimal growth and color...it really does take a load of patients with sps

Back