Colored pipes for plumbing

ZapataInc

Supporting
Reaction score
I was talking with @Rickdareefa about my plans of getting colored pipes for my plumbing. What are your thoughts on using them? Do you have them in your system? Or is it just a waste of money?

I would rather have people ogling my reef inhabitants than what's underneath.
That said, the gear-head in me likes the look of the custom plumbing.
fwiw- ...of course, I'm going with flex pvc for the convenience & smooth walls.

They do look alot better though. Just depends if you're willing to spend the money.

They do look alot better though. Just depends if you're willing to spend the money.
Yeah I was thinking about the look of it. But then again there is that thought process of not really seeing it.

I personally went with the colored, no you don't always see it or show it off but I enjoy seeing it when I'm working down there. Lucky for me I bought a total of 15ft, which I think totaled about $35. It's not a lot of money, but it is a lot more then standard white pvc. I also used clear glue and primer if that tells you a little about me! At the end of the day it's up to you which one you'll enjoy looking at more.

Spray paint is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Im painting all my pipes because spending the money on SCH-80 PVC thats grey would have at least tripled my plumbing costs.

Spray paint is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Im painting all my pipes because spending the money on SCH-80 PVC thats grey would have at least tripled my plumbing costs.
Hahaha...I was actually just looking at colored pipes on BRS to redo my plumbing. Never even thought to paint them with Krylon....

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Krylon is great, just dont paint anything you might want to cut to insert a fitting later. The krylon can be removed well enough, but it takes some effort. I have seen some pretty cool "display" quality sumps, but most sump cabinets remain closed. I guess it could be equated to looking at a clean and shiny hot rod engine when someone raises the hood for show though :cool:

Sure it’s tucked away most of the time, but it’s one of those “it must be nice to have it”. Do women need that many pairs of shoes or bags? Must be nice to have the ability to choose.

But all in all, would you change out the plumbing a few years down the road because you don’t like the look? If so, just go ahead and spent the money and be done with it

Attachments

• 3359A9CE-680D-4265-B80A-7C049DFE54C6.jpeg
    3359A9CE-680D-4265-B80A-7C049DFE54C6.jpeg
    723.9 KB · Views: 50
  • AA369969-15CD-4FEE-A619-C9AF1943AE78.jpeg
    AA369969-15CD-4FEE-A619-C9AF1943AE78.jpeg
    713.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 53CF2BD4-BBEA-4805-9371-CDE6EA0D6A78.jpeg
    53CF2BD4-BBEA-4805-9371-CDE6EA0D6A78.jpeg
    720.3 KB · Views: 43
I look at it like this - the tanks that we have are great and all but I always want to get a look under (or behind) the tank whenever I'm at someone's house. I supposed it separates the rest of the world from those of us in the hobby. When I got to check out different people's system I'm at least split 50/50 between wanting to see their tanks and wanting to see how they're being run. Sometimes it's 60/40 in favor of seeing the hardware.

I dont need fancy pipes under my tank. The messed up ways I plumbed my tank will have you staring for hours.

I think 2 different colors will be nice looking. One for the drains one for the return. I tried the painting, it lasts like half a year before peeling/ flaking off

When I visit my buddy's house I always look or want to look in his cabinet. His looks in rough disarray every time I look. I'm always hopeful he will clean it up lol. I say color if you got the money.

Back