Columbia tetra story :)

stacy22

Market
Reaction score
I have several tanks in my classroom. At the end of last school year I took all my 'school' fish home. Our classrooms are not airconditioned and the temps get into the 90s. One of my freshwater tanks housed some Columbian tetras (Hyphessobrycon colombianus</em>). This morning I started working on my tanks for this coming school year. As I began topping off my tanks (evaporation) I saw an adult tetra in the tank. I had somehow missed this one last May. This fish has been in a room with elevated temps and NO food for 10 weeks! The really cool thing is there are at least 5 small tetras (<1") in there with it. These must have hatched over the summer. From what I can find online these fish are fairly hard to get to reproduce in captivity. All I guess they really need is to lay eggs, be separated and left in hot water. :)

That is awsome Stacy. It wouldn't surprise me if South American fish have a good bit of heat resistance genetically built in and can survive in hotter water for a period of time.

Many rivers and creeks dry up in the summertme and trap fish in stagnant areas of water until rains come again, and the temps in these pools can get quite high.

I'd think there is an annual temperature spike in the water systems there in the summer anyways.

I just got a few juvenile discus in and I keep them at 86 degrees.

Back