Combining Tanks and Cycling

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I am in the process of setting up a 90 gallon display tank that will combine a 29 gallon Biocube and 36 gallon bowfront.

I have been given a lot of advise that varies at the local Los so I thought I would post it here.

Option 1: Take the substrate out of the Biocube and place it in the 90 gallon. Then add two to three more bags of substrate to make up the difference. Add approximately 40 gallons of new saltwater and allow the sand to settle for a couple of hours. Then start moving live rock, coral, fish, and existing water to the new tank. I anticipate that this will take a whole day to complete. In the end I wind up with something like 55 to 60 gallons of established water, about 60% of the tank when considering the sump and about 30% of cycled substrate. The substrate from the 36 gallon will not be coming along because it is black and white crushed coral. The new tank will be all sand.

The local Lfs insists that if I do this I will start with a cycled tank. My fear is that even with two small tanks we have well over $1000 in fish, coral and live rock. It seems risky to me to start the tank that way since the move itself will stress all involved parties.

Option 2: set up as a new tank with a handful of cromis, new live rock and a little of the existing rock and allow it to cycle before transferring everything else.

The bad part about this way (in my inexperienced mind) is that I will be tending to four tanks while I cycle the new one.

Here is a list of the livestock involved.
One jawfish, one serpent starfish, three cromis, one rusty angel, one diamond goby, one true Picasso clown (mate perished), one purple lobster, one flame hawk, a few turbo snails, two large crabs, one emerald crab, a few peppermint shrimps and some reef hermits. As for coral, zinnia, orange acan, lots of zoas, and a couple of sponges and others I can't name.

I will be adding rock, it will be live but not from an established tank.

That rock is going to have some die-off then, which will cause a release of ammonia. All the bacteria built up on your existing rock may be enough to take care of it. Someone more experienced can chime in, but to me it feels like a crapshoot. I wouldn't want to risk $1,000 of livestock.

I think what I</em> would do is set up the 90 with the new rock, as much rock as you can spare from the two existing tanks, and the new sand. Adding the existing rock should drastically speed up your cycle. (The more rock, the faster it will go.) You may not even get a cycle per se, just a reestablishing of equilibrium as stuff dies off the new rock. Might only take a day or two. Definitely not weeks, I wouldn't think.

Once things are back stable, transfer in all existing livestock like you had just brought them home from the store unless all the parameters are the same.

Alternatively, you could move the livestock to a holding tank for a few days (lots of people have used Rubbermaid containers) and just move all the rock in all at once. Once things are back stable, re-acclimate the fish.

SKIP moving the substrate. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

Substrate should NEVER be reused without completely & totally washing it (and then washing it again, like 5 more times). Seriously. Cleaning the substrate that comes from a tank is far more labor intensive than most people ever want to deal with, so they go with new. Just putting old substrate into a new tank will release all the built up detritus (crap) in it which can and will kill everything in your tank.

Your biological filtration (end result of a cycle) is contained in your liverock. THAT is where the pay-dirt is. If you fill a tank with cycled & seasoned liverock, you will not have much of a cycle if any.

Depending on where you are getting the rest of your liverock from, you can start immediately or you may have to wait. If it's across town and you keep it wet with wet newspaper or submerged in water, you're good to go. If it's being shipped, you will likely have some dieoff and will do better to cycle that rock for a week or two to make sure it doesn't spike the ammonia and kill everything.

JeF4y;875081 wrote: SKIP moving the substrate. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

Substrate should NEVER be reused without completely & totally washing it (and then washing it again, like 5 more times). Seriously. Cleaning the substrate that comes from a tank is far more labor intensive than most people ever want to deal with, so they go with new. Just putting old substrate into a new tank will release all the built up detritus (crap) in it which can and will kill everything in your tank.

Your biological filtration (end result of a cycle) is contained in your liverock. THAT is where the pay-dirt is. If you fill a tank with cycled & seasoned liverock, you will not have much of a cycle if any.

Depending on where you are getting the rest of your liverock from, you can start immediately or you may have to wait. If it's across town and you keep it wet with wet newspaper or submerged in water, you're good to go. If it's being shipped, you will likely have some dieoff and will do better to cycle that rock for a week or two to make sure it doesn't spike the ammonia and kill everything.

+10000

I would skip reusing the old sand. I would go one step further and say buy new dead sand and rinse it well. The live rock you have is currently supporting the livestock you have and will continue to do so. As long as any new rock or sand has no die off you are not adding any bio load and the rock should have no problem sustaining it.

If you want real life confirmation look up my build thread. I went from a 35 to a 125 in one evening. You can look up my build thread if you want to see how I did it. Search for "Rich's 125".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, I have NEVER gone through that initial cycle. I've always used cured liverock on startup and gone from there.

1. Rock first then sand for a firm foundation.
2. New sand (don't reuse sand).
3. New water (start with a full complement of minerals, etc) (don't reuse water)

Back