Comparing Test Kits

huskerreefatl

Market
Reaction score
Until recently, I have used API test kits but then bought the Salifert Mg and Alk test kits. And then I decided to get the Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro and have started comparing the numbers. I thought folks may be interested to see the numbers in my latest tests when I used all of them for comparison.

Salifert:
Mg - 1290, Alk - 7.9

Red Sea:
Mg - 1380, Alk - 8.4, Ca - 425

API:
Alk - 8, Ca - 440

The Alk and Ca are comparable but I thought that it was interesting that the Mg was so different between Salifert and Red Sea. I do like the Red Sea kits better. They are very self explanatory and hard to make mistakes but their Alk test is very light so challenging to tell exactly when to stop adding drops. I do like the titration device that comes with Red Sea and now I can use it with my Salifert tests also.

In addition to the Red Sea Foundation Pro, I bought the Algae Control Test kit which is just the Nitrate and Phosphate test kits that come with a color wheel. I do like the color wheel to help read the results. I have a Hanna tester for phosphate and the results have been the same between the two.

Any thoughts on Mg difference between Salifert and Red Sea?

Does either kit have a reference solution so you can calibrate it?

Seachem does. Just throwing that out there.

Jenn

Neither came with them so i would have to see if i can order it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I didn't like the Red Sea for Alk due to the reasons you stated. I've used a lot of Alk test kits and I keep coming back to Salifert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you watch the Red Sea youtube video on the alk test, their colors are much different than mine. I thought that something was wrong with the reagent so i contacted them and they sent me a new one but it was the same lot number and exp date and tested the same. I contacted them again and told them that and asked for one from a different lot so they are going to send me one. We will see if it turns out different. I do like their process but the colors need to be better.

huskerreefatl;1060671 wrote: When you watch the Red Sea youtube video on the alk test, their colors are much different than mine. I thought that something was wrong with the reagent so i contacted them and they sent me a new one but it was the same lot number and exp date and tested the same. I contacted them again and told them that and asked for one from a different lot so they are going to send me one. We will see if it turns out different. I do like their process but the colors need to be better.

Same thing happened to me. I think they changed it up at some point and not for the better.

Back