Completely pissed

mikesmith34

Market
Reaction score
Fed the tank last night and everything looked great. Got up this morning and overnight my red dragon colony and frag had COMPLETELY RTN'd. It was in the same spot as a rainbow Millie I had that did the same thing. I'm just so bummed that was the fastest growing coral by far in my tank. In that spot my return can blow on it so maybe the dosing in the sump blowing in the general area has something to do with it. I did adjust my lighting intensity up some last week but I doubt that's what caused it. The other factor was taking GFO and carbon offline trying to get PO4 up just a little. I don't have a frag tank so I lost all my red dragon. I just wished I knew for sure what caused it. :doh:

Mike do you happen to have one of those veggie clips? Been reading about them rusting and causing sps loss

Sorry for the loss brother

Wow big time bummer. Sorry to hear that. Sps are so finicky..
Do you have any data on how high the po4 jumped and how quickly?

tonymission;978231 wrote: Wow big time bummer. Sorry to hear that. Sps are so finicky..
Do you have any data on how high the po4 jumped and how quickly?

I will soon I always test on Saturday evenings.

PFCDeitz;978228 wrote: Mike do you happen to have one of those veggie clips? Been reading about them rusting and causing sps loss

Sorry for the loss brother

I do have a veggie clip but it's plastic and I always take it out after 15-20 mins. If I don't the suction cup lets go and falls to the bottom of the tank.

Tested and the PO4 is still at zero. Hanna checker, new reagent and new batteries I don't know find that a little hard to believe. I've had to gfo back on line for about 4 hrs before testing.

Seth I need another dragon!! That coral grew so fast it actually made me feel like I knew what I was doing and getting things dialed in. Oh well:shout:

Major bummer! Sorry for the loss. If my little frag was any larger I'd give you a frag...

Centered a whole frag pack purchase off one piece.. RR Yellow Mamba

RTNd 3 days later... Have a 3 polyp booger I'm trying to save. Everything else looks great. Can be a real frustrating hobby sometimes.

Mikesmith34;978348 wrote: Tested and the PO4 is still at zero. Hanna checker, new reagent and new batteries I don't know find that a little hard to believe. I've had to gfo back on line for about 4 hrs before testing.

Seth I need another dragon!! That coral grew so fast it actually made me feel like I knew what I was doing and getting things dialed in. Oh well:shout:

I believe Seth lost his red dragon too! I only say that because he was putting a few frags together for me at the time it happened. Sure hope I'm wrong but if ya find a source, let me know.

I definitely feel for your loss. It happens from time to time. Some corals can be hard to keep. And if you lose one you may never know why.

Acroholic;978374 wrote: I definitely feel for your loss. It happens from time to time. Some corals can be hard to keep. And if you lose one you may never know why.

Yea that's the part that drives me nuts. Not knowing why so you can learn and move on. Thanx for the comments guys.

tonymission;978436 wrote: Alk been relatively stable?

Relatively yes. Tested last night and it was 9.5dkh up 1 point over last Saturday. I use BRS 2 part with a doser. The only thing that was slightly off was my Ca at 390. I like to keep it at 420-450.

Anybody ever hear of potassium dosing??? There is a lot of talk about it on reef central. Never heard of it nor do I test for it. Just wondering.

Mikesmith34;978427 wrote: Yea that's the part that drives me nuts. Not knowing why so you can learn and move on. Thanx for the comments guys.
From my own experience, it can be hard to pinpoint causes of SPS death sometimes. I have kept a pretty consistent maintenance regimen over the years, and some corals I do well with at times and others not.

For example, For a long time Hawkins Blue and Red Planet were very hard for me to keep. Now, in this new 465 setup (well, relatively new), they are both doing very well. OTOH, I cannot keep Pearlberry alive on this tank, whereas in the 300 no problem. Could it be the change from LEDs back to Halides? Maybe. But there are too many acros to try, so if something dies and I am not sure why, I just move on. Maybe try the Dragon again in another spot if you do try it again.

Yea ill certainly get me another piece of it. it was the fastest grower by far. How did Seth lose his RD?

Back