Concerning PH problem

bpitts4

Market
Reaction score
I have seen my pH creep up to a high 8.6 on some days over the past few months. Now....I don't believe in necessarily chasing a number but 8.6 is much higher than it should be. I have calibrated my pH probe to no avail. I am using an Apex monitoring system and have tested all other parameters and I cannot figure out what the problem is so I am reaching out to you all for help. I have looked at ways to safely lower my pH but they are only temp fixes and within 24-48 hours the high numbers are back. I have tried vinegar dosing....aerating the water so far. Below are my parameters.

Salinity - 1.026 or 35PPM
Alkalinity - averages 9-11
Magnesium - 1300
Nitrates - less then 5ppm but does register slightly
Nitrites - 0
Ammonia - 0
Phosphates - 0
pH - averages 8.45 but reaches 8.6 several times throughout the week and typically never drops below 8.42

I have a bio-pellet reactor which I have been running for almost 8 months
I have a few bags of carbon in the sump
I have a calcium reactor which has been running for almost a year

I do weekly water changes and other than that there is nothing else. I don't dose any other supplements to the tank.

Thanks for you help!

Have you rechecked your ph numbers with another test kit? I bought a lab grade ph probe from neptune and it read .23 higher than my existing ph probe. I went round about with neptune over and over recalibrating. Finally I just accepted the value as being higher than was accurate. I ran two ph probes just keeping an eye on it. Then I redid some wiring and rerouted lines ect and suddenly it dropped down to the accurate ph reading. It must have been getting some interference in the line.

Im not saying this is a possibility, but stranger things have happened. Run a test with a different test kit.

I have no idea to fix your high ph problem but like mentioned above, Take your ph probe to your buddy's place and see if the reading is same. If it reads different you know it was probe all along. Just make sure to keep it wet when transfering. I would try this before other means.

Back