Conch shell in my tank... suggestions?

jamsf

Reaction score
So my hubby found a beautiful good sized conch shell. I’m thinking to try and get SOME type of soft coral or something to start on it. Any suggestions? Pic of it in my tank... it’s BIG but I don’t think overkill. :)

Is it a dead shell? If so, do you know it’s history? Where it came from, or who collected it?

The reason I ask is that shells, especially univalves (a one part shell, vs two parts) can have animal parts remaining, or chemicals that may have been used, etc.

In any event, I would recommend a good soak in deionized or distilled water before using it. Perhaps two overnight soaks. If you suspect any part of the animal might remain, place the shell near an ant bed for a couple days. They will remove anything edible, that’s not toxic. Then do the soak(s).

Is it a dead shell? If so, do you know it’s history? Where it came from, or who collected it?

The reason I ask is that shells, especially univalves (a one part shell, vs two parts) can have animal parts remaining, or chemicals that may have been used, etc.

In any event, I would recommend a good soak in deionized or distilled water before using it. Perhaps two overnight soaks. If you suspect any part of the animal might remain, place the shell near an ant bed for a couple days. They will remove anything edible, that’s not toxic. Then do the soak(s).

Thanks for the feedback, I did that exactly. It sat in my cycling tank a few days before I moved it to the regular tank. No thankfully no indications of remains thankfully. Any suggestions for finding something to home on

Zoanthids are colorful, easy to propagate & will colonize just about anything.

Check the for sale boards. There are almost always some for sale.

Just be careful when handling. Do not touch your eyes or any mucus membranes like your eyes, nose & especially the mouth while handling them.

Wash your hands thoroughly afterward and/or wear gloves. Some are known to produce palyyoxins which may cause reactions from mild irritation to some being quite toxic. This is not intended to scare you, just to make sure you know. Zoa’s are very popular and safe when handled correctly.

I found this conch shell while snorkeling. Kept it dry for a few months, then cleaned it really well. The back side was worn through, but it left a cool opening for the fish to swim through. I plan on letting a cyphastrea grow over it.

Attachments

• 20200502_184108.jpg
    20200502_184108.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 15
Back