Concrete Stained Floors...

darren24

Market
Reaction score
We may be building a new house with a basement. My wife is urging me to leave the floor in my "fish room" concrete and stain it. Before I read up on it has anyone done this? Here is a link that shows some.

a>

We recently went in and built a kitchen for a couple who had stained floors. I could see what it was ment to look like, but the company that did it was inept to say the least. From what I was told the floor needs to be CLEAN, no spills or anything on it as the stain has to be able to uniformly soak in for it to look good. Just make sure you get someone that knows what there doing, or read up on it well before hand if your doing it. Worst case scenario you could tile over it, which is what they did

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Staining concrete is 1) better left to a concrete staining professional (not just the concrete guys) and 2) applied to new, extremely smooth concrete....basically polished. If done properly....it looks great!

In my basement fish room I went with a epoxy coating on the concrete. I felt this was better because I had to dig some trenches and thus had a mix of old and new concrete, and was managable for a DIY job. I did buy from a specialized supplier, rather than just go with the kit from the big box stores.

With concrete floors and a built in floor drain, it is very nice not to have to worry about spills...

You can see a little of the floor in this pic...
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
953533=53545-IMG_20130101_213732.jpg
>
953533=53545-IMG_20130101_213732.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_20130101_213732.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I did it, but not extremely happy with the end product. Great looking but were I patched existing holes is very noticeable. Also make sure you do a good job of etching/cleaning the concrete. My finish is coming up in a few places. Especially under rugs and chairs. I used a kit I purchased from HD.

Back