Concrete tank stands

george

Market
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with concrete (either poured or using blocks and mortar) to build tank stands?

I was pondering my stand possibilities for my new room and the fact that I want to have an upstream 55 gallon refugium. Putting a 55g tank upstream from a 24" cube tank puts it pretty high in the air. Higher than I'd want a wood stand to go, really. Reading The Reef Aquarium Vol 3 they had a section on stand and tank design and it had never occurred to me to use concrete.

Of course it would be fixed (duh!), but what stand isn't once you fill it? It would be rock solid for the setup I'm aiming for and I was even pondering sealing off the underneath for one big sump.

Anyone have any thoughts?

George;61380 wrote: Has anyone had any experience with concrete (either poured or using blocks and mortar) to build tank stands?

I was pondering my stand possibilities for my new room and the fact that I want to have an upstream 55 gallon refugium. Putting a 55g tank upstream from a 24" cube tank puts it pretty high in the air. Higher than I'd want a wood stand to go, really. Reading The Reef Aquarium Vol 3 they had a section on stand and tank design and it had never occurred to me to use concrete.

Of course it would be fixed (duh!), but what stand isn't once you fill it? It would be rock solid for the setup I'm aiming for and I was even pondering sealing off the underneath for one big sump.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I've seen some gorgeous concrete kitchen counter-tops and some http://www.concreteexchange.com/countertops-faq-diy.jsp">DIY instructions</a> for making your own. Perhaps you could also do some nice tilework.

I'm not an engineer so can't comment on the structural aspects, but asthetically speaking, I think it would be beautiful.

Simple pimple man. Tie it all together with some rebar and your good to go.

If you poured it you would have to make the forms. I would just make the forms in 12" high sections bending rebar in the shape of the form. Make sure the rebar is in the middle or when you pull the form you may see it.

Then I would add vertical rebar to tie the sections together. I would not use Kwikcrete but I would instead order a small amount of redi-mix and tote it from the truck in 5 gal buckets.

The structure would have to be built and poured exactly where you want it.
You could even color the concrete if you wanted to.

Redi-mix will run you about 75 - 100 bucks a yard.

I am going to put my 250 gal ro storage on blocks. I am not going to mortar them together as I believe the weight of the water will hold it together just fine.

Lastly, if you pour it and you want it to be atrractive, you will need to be adept at finishing the mud or it will look like hammered snot. My concrete man would probably be willing to build the forms and finish it for you pretty cheap.

<span style="font-size: 14px;"><span style="color: blue;">Loren W.</span></span>

-1 for using the phrases *simple pimple* and *hammered snot* in the same post.........

Seedless Reefer;61413 wrote: Simple pimple man. Tie it all together with some rebar and your good to go.

If you poured it you would have to make the forms. I would just make the forms in 12" high sections bending rebar in the shape of the form. Make sure the rebar is in the middle or when you pull the form you may see it.

Then I would add vertical rebar to tie the sections together. I would not use Kwikcrete but I would instead order a small amount of redi-mix and tote it from the truck in 5 gal buckets.

The structure would have to be built and poured exactly where you want it.
You could even color the concrete if you wanted to.

Redi-mix will run you about 75 - 100 bucks a yard.

I am going to put my 250 gal ro storage on blocks. I am not going to mortar them together as I believe the weight of the water will hold it together just fine.

Lastly, if you pour it and you want it to be atrractive, you will need to be adept at finishing the mud or it will look like hammered snot. My concrete man would probably be willing to build the forms and finish it for you pretty cheap.

<span style="font-size: 14px;"><span style="color: blue;">Loren W.</span></span>

Back