condensation on diy top

rodasphoto

Market
Reaction score
I have a lot of condensation on my day acrylic lid and was wondering if you all had any input on how to get rid of it without taking it completely off.
http://imgur.com/aAomjuP" alt="" />

Edit: [IMG]http://imgur.com/aAomjuP" alt="" />

theres not a way to get rid of it. its just one of those facts of life. unless you can get some neverwet from ross nanotechnologies and coat it with that but good luck ive been trying to get my hands on that stuff for almost a year and cant find it anywhere. i dont even know if they have released it to the public yet

Pic does not show. How about drilling a hole (thumb-size) or a couple of holes (smaller grill-like) for venting? Hope I am understanding correctly but that would be my suggestion.

why use the lid anyway. use a screen and top off. your lights are being blocked from reaching the tank

lagunareef;872438 wrote: Pic does not show. How about drilling a hole (thumb-size) or a couple of holes (smaller grill-like) for venting? Hope I am understanding correctly but that would be my suggestion.

not trying to be negative but i doubt that would help my friend has a biocube that he uses a glass top on because he has a radion over it and there is pleanty of space up front for the vapor to escape and it still gets tons of condensation

I tried to insert the pic from my phone. But here it is. I put a top on it because I did not want my DIY radion LEDs to oxidize even though it has a splash cover, don't want any of my fish to carpet surf, and I have cats. I am afraid either my cats will try to play with my fish or jump in.

I was thinking some smallish holes for venting would alleviate the problem.
aAomjuP.jpg
alt="" />

Rodasphoto;872339 wrote: I have a lot of condensation on my day acrylic lid and was wondering if you all had any input on how to get rid of it without taking it completely off.
http://imgur.com/aAomjuP" alt="" />

Edit: [IMG]http://imgur.com/aAomjuP" alt="" />[/QUOTE]

I personally would get in a habit every few days to wipe off both sides with a clean lent free cloth. I know that you stated " ..... without taking it completely off." This is what I would do. :)

Wannabee

You won't be able to keep the condensation off the lid. Just too humid between the water and the underside of the lid.

kilralpine;872509 wrote: Dump the lid, go screen :)

After seeing the pic, I would go this route. I think Acroholic has the clear mesh for the screen tops if you want to DIY, or post a WTB for your particular Biocube size just in case fellow members might have one on hand. This will also allow your tank to breathe a little more vis-a-vis gas exchange, temp issues, and better light penetration.

More ventilation in the hood would help a lot. The humid air is just staying still or not being vented fast enough so condensation is happening. Add a fan or change to a more powerful one. You also have to make sure there is a gap of some sort in the acrylic to allow the the humid air between the water and acrylic to to escape faster. You cant have a tight seal on the lid without causing condensation. You will also lose a ton of surface area for gas exchange. You can use the screen material to cover the gap you make (probably best on the back side) to keep fish from jumping.

I have 3 tanks and all have glass lids. I keep my tanks covered to control evaporation and I don't want to deal with the humidity, my tanks are in the basement and its humid enough without adding. Mine pretty much look like yours but its never really bothered me, the surface water is moving so much I cant see from the top anyway. What are your concerns, don't like the look? Here is what mine look like.

Edit: I have 3 tanks and all have glass lids. I keep my tanks covered to control evaporation and I don't want to deal with the humidity, my tanks are in the basement and its humid enough without adding. Mine pretty much look like yours but its never really bothered me, the surface water is moving so much I cant see from the top anyway. What are your concerns, don't like the look? Here is what mine look like.

Edit:
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
872730=45900-IMG_1808.jpg
>
872730=45900-IMG_1808.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1808.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
872730=45901-IMG_1809.jpg
>
872730=45901-IMG_1809.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1809.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
872730=45902-IMG_1810.jpg
>
872730=45902-IMG_1810.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_1810.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I feel its blocking the lights I have set up above. Plus my temps are inching up now that it is summer.

Rodasphoto;872749 wrote: I feel its blocking the lights I have set up above. Plus my temps are inching up now that it is summer.

You're feeling is right.

Dball.... Are you running a dehumidifier in your basement?

Dont worry about the light blockage, its just water and the light has to travel through the water in the tank so it should not block much. As for temp, that has been a big challenge for me on some tanks. Covers will hold in heat and not allow much evaporative cooling. If the heat thing is a big deal then a mesh cover might be the way to go. A couple of holes in the cover might help the condensation but wont make much of a difference in the retained heat.

Edit:
Ringo®;872754 wrote: You're feeling is right.

Dball.... Are you running a dehumidifier in your basement?

No I'm not and didn't want to add one if I didn't have to. Its not really bad since I added some AC vents and a return. That is and was a consideration though.

Back