Configuring plumbing on my 60 cube

redstang

Market
Reaction score
Have a new marineland 60 gal cube that somes with 2 holes drilled in the bottom corner. I'd like to use both for drains so that leaves me either drilling another hole within the confines of the overflow or drilling a return hole somewhere else. The tank is rimless so I won't be spoiling that by running the return over the top. So looking for opinions.

Drill in the existing overflow? My main concern is if there's enough room to do it safely. If I can, this is ideal.

Also thinking of drilling a return center back close to the top. Downside is no overflow box to "hide" the returns. Upside is there's no overflow box. As long as I drill a hole in the bottom of the return that sticks in the tank I shouldn't have to worry about a siphon drain when the return is off right? I can always put a background color on the back of the tank and help camo the return plumbing.

Also thought of a closed loop since I'd be drilling but not sure that's realistic for a 60 cube. I was planning on 2 MP10's for flow and I already have one. One upside to this would be no power heads inside or outside the tank.

Thoughts?

Gee guys/gals, thanks for all the opinions :lol2:

Another option, not sure why I didn't consider it before, would be to drill a hole through the back of the tank where the overflow is. Return plumbing would still be hidden(for the most part anyway), and all plumbing would be in the overflow.

I have a 60 myself. Why would you run both as overflows? And you have no chance of running a 3rd hole in there and room for all of the plumbing. Just use the 1" for overflow and 3/4 for return.

I also run 2 MP10's in mine, go this route and save yourself the trouble!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottw;905222 wrote: I have a 60 myself. Why would you run both as overflows? And you have no chance of running a 3rd hole in there and room for all of the plumbing. Just use the 1" for overflow and 3/4 for return.

I also run 2 MP10's in mine, go this route and save yourself the trouble!

So I'm over thinking the risk of that one drain getting clogged? Also thought it was easier to get a quiet system with 2 drains vs 1.

And thanks for the opinion! :D

RedStang;905225 wrote: So I'm over thinking the risk of that one drain getting clogged? Also thought it was easier to get a quiet system with 2 drains vs 1.

And thanks for the opinion! :D

You are good. I have little to zero noise from mine. Put a strainer on the elbow of the overflow if you are concerned. I feel if the manufacture wanted 2 outs they would have drilled that 3rd hole for you. If you are near Alpharetta you are more than welcome to stop over and see my setup.

Live in Douglasville but work in Alpharetta. Maybe I could drop the wife and daughter off at the mall one weekend and the son and I could visit. Would definitely love to see your setup. Coming from a BC29 a sump and the plumbing is new to me.

You might have me on the strainer. I like systems that are soundly designed and built but simple isn't always bad. Also, I've seen drains with a T at the top and open on both sides. Is that a possibility? Seems both sides would have to get clogged.

And another question. Is the "Corner-flo" plumbing kit they sell these tanks with any good?

I'd drill another hole in the overflow, either back or bottom. Lets you run a Herbie style drain setup and still keep your return hidden.

This is a stupid question, but isnt the bottom tempered after it is drilled by the factory?

JBDreefs;905279 wrote: This is a stupid question, but isnt the bottom tempered after it is drilled by the factory?

According to Marineland's website no panels are tempered on the 60 cube. I checked and there just isn't enough room to drill another hole in the bottom of the overflow though. I'm thinking I'll stick with a single drain and use the other for the return. At the end of the day it will be stressful but not a huge deal to drill another hole in the back of the overflow for the return if I decide to go that route.

I have a little more confidence knowing someone else on the forum has the exact same tank and it's working well for them. Hopefully I'll be able to stop by in the next couple of months and see for myself how it is and determine whether I'd be happy with it in our situation. After looking at the overflow plumbing it would take quite a bit to block it. So noise will be the determining factor.

Check out the plumbing on my 60 cube.... Let me know if you have any questions.

showthread.php

MorganAtlanta;905278 wrote: I'd drill another hole in the overflow, either back or bottom. Lets you run a Herbie style drain setup and still keep your return hidden.

Do you own a 60 gallon or have you owned one? I would say no based on your reply. There is NO room to drill another hole in a 60. Drilling another hole is hardly hiding anything, in fact, now he has to hide it behind rocks or something. Much easier to hide the return/loc line provided.

I would listen to the guys that own 60's as they would know best if you could drill another hole. Bad information can get you in a lot of trouble, and fast. Maybe he would buy you another tank if you blew it out on a bad drill, but my guess is no.

Hit me up anytime, we can work something out, I am more than happy to show you how I set mine up, a picture is worth a thousand words, but seeing in person is priceless!

scottw;905350 wrote: Do you own a 60 gallon or have you owned one? I would say no based on your reply. There is NO room to drill another hole in a 60. Drilling another hole is hardly hiding anything, in fact, now he has to hide it behind rocks or something. Much easier to hide the return/loc line provided.

I would listen to the guys that own 60's as they would know best if you could drill another hole. Bad information can get you in a lot of trouble, and fast. Maybe he would buy you another tank if you blew it out on a bad drill, but my guess is no.

Hit me up anytime, we can work something out, I am more than happy to show you how I set mine up, a picture is worth a thousand words, but seeing in person is priceless!

Yikes.

You are correct, I do not personally own one, but I have personally drilled a number of tanks. It's not rocket science or something to be feared. The OP could take it to a professional to have it done if he didn't want to do it. Lots of people drill holes in tanks, and lots of people also paint the backs of their tanks, so hiding plumbing is often not a problem. It's up to the OP to decide what's right for him. Personally, I like multiple drains and returns not going over the back, and would lean that way on any tank I set up.

Back