Considering a calcium reactor...please advise!

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
Got a few frags from William this past weekend and saw his awesome tank! He credits some of his recent growth to his calcium reactor. So I have been doing a little research and like everything else associated wiht this hobby, there are as many brands and models of CR's as there are pros and cons of having one. I have been considering the current power buy MRC CR-1 ($188.00). But I see I will need a CO2 tank and pump. i'm guessing...what ...maybe another $100 for that stuff? There are also a few used ones available in the ARC drygoods forum craigslist and ebay.
<ul>
<li>What else will I need?</li>
<li>What else will I want ... that I dont REALLY need? (cuz thats generally the route I end up taking)</li>
</ul>I am currently able to keep my Calcium just over 400 pretty easily when I remember to dose. I assume a CR would take the guess work out of it and keep the level more stable.

While we primarily keep just softies right now, we are starting to migrate toward more calcium pulling friends.

Any CR suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks as always!

Things you'll need (besides the reactor):

Regulator w/ solenoid
CO2 tank
calcium media
CO2 resistant tubing
feed pump
recirculating pump (if it doesn't come with the reactor)
<span style="color: Red;">(there are some newer designs that use one pump for both purposes)</span>

Things that make life easier but aren't absolutely needed:

PH controller

Barbara;202602 said:
Do you have room for a reactor? Do you have the $$ for a good one?

I have plenty of room for a reactor and I guess I am trying to figure out if I have the dough for a good one. If a good set up is $500 bucks...then I will continue to dose manually. But If I can put together a decent set up for a 1/2 that...then I may consider it. When I saw the MRC powerbuy unit for $188.00, it sounded pretty good. But again like everything else, it doesnt stop there.

Hmm...

Regulater with solenoid $100
Co2 tank $89.00
Calcium media (Peanuts)
Feed pump $35
Recir pump $40

Some round about prices Big D was selling a nice reactor. Knop reactors come with a recir. pump. Same one I use. People here are always selling stuff if you got a reactor thru a power buy and set it aside so you can collect the odds and ends for it and gain a few more sps you will be set. Even if it took you a good month or two theres no rush since your tank still has alot of softies. You will need it for a good amount of sps.

mufret;202617 wrote: Things you'll need (besides the reactor):

Regulator w/ solenoid
CO2 tank
calcium media
CO2 resistant tubing
feed pump
recirculating pump (if it doesn't come with the reactor)
<span style="color: red;">(there are some newer designs that use one pump for both purposes)</span>

Things that make life easier but aren't absolutely needed:

PH controller

Thanks.

So minus the PH controller, how much is all that stuff gonna cost me?

It will be difficult to buy new equipment and be under 500.

Reactor $200 to $350

Solenoid $100 to $150

Co2 tank and get it filled $80 to $100

Feed pump $15 to $20

Media 15 to 20

Co2 check valve (not sure)

I personally would not have a reactor without a ph controller but thats just me. Old school reefers are snickering at reading this statement.

so thats another $80 to 130

Its been awhile since I bought one but was looking to maybe take part in the power buy and this is what I figured. You can buy a package deal from most places that may save you some.

Joe

reactor $188
solonoid $100
Co2 tank $75
Feed pump $15
Media $20

total @400

If I were you, I would go ahead and get the reactor NOW so you save some cash. You can find used Co2 tanks for cheaper than new. You probably have a feed and recirc pump, if not they're cheap anyway.

You can get a manual Co2 regulator and save a lot of money; the solonoid is mainly useful when used with a controller.

fwiw, I don't use a controller for mine.

To be honest....you don't really need one....My tanks have been in operation for almost 5 years now....I don't have one. (actually I do but it never worked) so I am proof that one is not needed, while it may be easier for you to dose.....I am always feeding my tanks and etc. so It is no skin off my back to throw some calcium in the sump every week or so....

So if you have the $ and really want one..have at it...but it is not needed..it is a convenience....I have some opinions on other things we add to our tanks as well.....but that;s another story.

Todd

Once you have a good one you'll never go back. Bite the bullet, buy an MRC or a Reeftek and live happily ever after. It's probably the best investment I've made. You can leave your tank for a long weekend and not worry. When I'm on business trips for the week, wife just has to feed the fish and that's it!

I've had mine since 2003 and as I say I'll never have another tank without one (unless it's tiny)

Hmm...I like the sound of that Charlie, but I dont know anything about that method either. How would I go about setting that up?

Thannks!

Back