Considering purchasing some new equipment, advice?

reefknight

Market
Reaction score
Ok guys,
I'm getting to where I think I want to upgrade my skimmer, an older model of (CS ?-?) Euro Reef RS135. It has done an alright job, but I would like to move up to something that I know will do the job. There are times now that I stop and wonder if it is performing like it should. I currently have a light - moderately stocked 90gal with about another 25 gallons in sump and various equipment, I figure system volume of 115 gallons. In the future I know that I will upgrade, there is no doubt in that. I'm figuring a 180 standard or the 185 by Deep Sea. I keep a 50/ 50 mix of SPS/ LPS corals for the most part, just a couple of zoas for flavor. The foot print cannot be over 9" x 13", as that is all my sump will allow for currently, and I can't change my sump without breaking down the tank, so that is not an option currently. I don't want to say that money is no object, but lets keep it reasonable.

I have been looking at the BubbleMasters, BubbleKings mini, KZ Revolution small, and also the MSX skimmers. All of these seem to have fine points and problems from what I can read. What are your thoughts on these skimmers?

Also I'm in the market for a phosphate meter. I am trying to find comparisons between the Hanna and Milwaukee models. Are any of our members currently using these and can you provide any feedback?

Thanks guys(& gals), I appreciate the assistance!

I am a big fan of Euro Reef Skimmers. I have had 2 an ES-8-2 and a CS-8-3. I recirulated both. I love them! :)

I should add that the 8-2 was on 100 gallons of water and the 8-3 is on 200 gallons of water. Both setups were heavily stocked.

Yeah, I have two Euro's. The one above and a CS80 on my 30 cube. I'm just looking to step up and hopefully out skim what I have. There's times I'm not sure it is pulling out what it should.

Bill,
Not that this should be public information yet or anything... so you heard it from a little birdy if anyone asks but I would check into MRC's new line of skimmers. I can personally vouch for the design. The footprint for a skimmer to fit your future dream 180 tank is only like 6" x 6" and it will out perform the Bubbleking's for about 1/5 of the price, I guarantee it. The skimmers are not released yet but should be soon, so if you can hold off for a month or so I think you will find it a better value and longer lasting skimmer then most on your list.

Back