Contest for New Aquarists and Reefers

ActiveAngel

Contest Committee Lead
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
First Instant Ocean Salt Contest!
(Backstory: What are your fun contest ideas?)

What can you win?
•180g bucket of Instant Ocean salt
(But Wait, There’s More!...)
•Instant Ocean long sleeve shirt

Who can participate?
This is open specifically for people that are just getting into the hobby, or getting back into it after many years out. People qualify by being in one of the following categories.
•You are about to set up your first tank (or a new tank after a long hiatus),
•You have an empty tank without livestock thats still cycling, or
•You have a tank with at most 2 easy fish, 2 soft coral frags, and any amount of clean-up-crew (hermits, snails, shrimps, crabs...). In other words, if this contest was a month or two ago, you would have been in the previous category.

When is it?
This contest will conclude on August 15th, 2019. I may extend that timeframe if necessary; but I have some salt to give away and am looking for some good candidates!

What is the contest?
Setting up a new aquarium can cost a lot; both in money and time. To reward those who are being patient and cycling their tanks slowly before adding coral and fish.
1) Please post 1-2 photos of your freshly new tanks, include at least 1 full-tank shot... even if it’s ugly.
2) Tell us a bit about your plans for this new tank! What types of fish or coral are your favorite? At least 2 sentences, but no limit on a maximum. It’s okay to get excited!
3) Include the approximate date that you set up the aquarium, approximate dates that you plan to add your first fish and/or coral (or if you recently added, then share those dates).

Our first tanks all started out as empty, with ugly white and brown rocks, and ourselves struggling with being patient as we want to fill it with coral. In a year from now, when purple coralline algae has beautifully transformed your rockwork, you’ll be shocked to look back at how much your tank has grown. Slow and deliberate change is always progress in this hobby. It may seem like nothing is happening at the time; but it is, and your patience will be rewarded.

How will the winner be decided?
This may be challenging to judge a winner. So we’re relying on experienced reefers to ‘like’ posts of new reefers that seem to be on the right track, make a good post, and/or are being patient as they cycle their first tanks. The highest number of likes will receive some free salt!

Notes:
•I expect this community to be mostly moderate and experienced reefers; so perhaps not many people will submit for this contest. For this reason; I’ll leave the contest open for a longer period.
•Please be honest. There will be plenty of other salt buckets to win. Send me your ideas for other competitions.

I think I just barely fit into Category 3, so in the interest of a first entrant, I’ll jump in! Mods, if you feel like my tank is a bit too old or progressed a bit too fast, I won’t be offended if I’m skipped over for a younger tank. But here goes nothing!

Tank details:
Tank: 10gal Waterbox
Light: Hipargero AquaKnight LED
Filtration: Built-in AIO compartment with modded media basket for filter floss, bio balls, and Phosguard. Phosguard is changed weekly and filter floss every 2 or 3 days.
Maintenance schedule: 30% water change weekly
Supplements: B-Ionic 2 part daily and Reef Roids once a week

CE8ACA0C-CF9F-4C53-B3BD-A7D9E39D4333.jpeg
Day 1: Water and sand went in 5/2/19

7D98892C-0B03-4A48-9D87-E8E589017E94.jpeg
Day 6: Fully cured live rock 5/8/19

9AD1672D-E757-4995-8952-225DDB1656A0.jpeg
Day 18: First livestock, a blood shrimp, added 5/20/19. I realize I moved pretty quickly with livestock, but I used fully cured live rock, meticulously monitored ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, and used a bacteria product that surprisingly worked!

8F420423-D93D-4D44-A4E8-E4D35122300B.jpeg
Day 21: First corals. Picked up 5 small acan colonies from an ARC member on 5/23/19. Didn’t intend to add so much coral so soon, but I got a great deal & was confident with my water params and diligent with water changes.

456EA0C4-EB9D-43A3-BE04-B8B2110B6C75.jpeg
Day 24: First fish, a Yasha Goby, added on 5/26/19. I was definitely a bit afraid I was moving a bit too fast, but again diligent monitoring of water params leading up to adding this fish made me feel confident the tank was ready.

67C4ED9D-CB74-4D5A-8A42-5C43BA3EC804.jpeg
I’ve since added a pair of clowns, one DaVinci and one Black Snowflake. They are super happy and fat. Again, 3 fish in a nano tank is probably not a great idea for a new aquarist, but I’m coming back after 15 years off from a fairly advanced level of skill specifically with nano tanks. The key is to have a plan for when they inevitably will outgrow this tank.

12E5327A-75BD-4BAF-984C-99CCF931537A.jpeg4EBA95DE-754C-41FD-AC87-D6C9571FD3A3.jpeg
A couple of recent pics of the corals. They are thriving. I really wanted to focus on LPS with this tank, as in the past I had really been more into SPS and had really skipped over this category.

I’m currently out of town but will add an updated full tank shot when I get back to Atlanta.

That looks great! I’d say you’re moving pretty darn fast; and would recommend pumping the brakes to slow down... but it sounds like you’re aware of that already. Otherwise, keep up the regular water changes and testing! Beautiful setup.

Maybe outside the contest limitations due to the amount and types of livestock... but I don’t want to discourage you. Keep up the good work; and thanks for being the first post! We look forward to seeing your full tank shot nonetheless!

I started my journey about 6 months ago after a friend of mine told me her boyfriend did not take care of his tank any more and that it was time to go.

I am now looking into what I need for coral and what kind of corral are best for newbies. I had a mushroom in there but he let go and disappeared. I am still not sure what I'm going to do long term as every time I learn something new I change my mind!

The tank was set up for about a year but when I got it it was in rough condition.

Water parameters were

pH 7
Temp 64
Salinity 1.06

I didn't even know enough to check anything else!

The only water circulation was a 500 gph sump that was just a 20 gal tank with nothing in it other then some rocks.

I had to throw out almost 3in of sand from it being full of dead things and algae.

Below is a picture after I had the tank up for about 2 months

the other one is from today!

I still am trying to figure out out how to get the hair algae.

I have not added much to the tank while I make sure I have everything under control.

I added some crabs and snails and had a hair outbreak and am waiting to get a ats built before I start to add coral.

My two clowns have almost tripled since I got them and are eating half a block of frozen a day and I'm about to add another fish or two so I can start freeing an entire cube.

I had no idea what I was getting my self into when I got this tank and have had a lot of fun learning as I go and taking it as slow as I can.

I know I'm not in the 2 month window but thought I would share

Attachments

• IMG_20190711_073845.jpg
    IMG_20190711_073845.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 17
I know I'm not in the 2 month window but thought I would share

Your submission is good to go! You fit all the other requirements; and in the spirit of being patient, you’ve done better than most!

Wow, those initial parameters were whack! Otherwise, it seems like you’ve handled your tank well, you’re learning a lot, making all the right decisions, and feeding reasonably. You’ll do great in this hobby! Also, about the learning and changing plans comment... yeah, that’s normal here!

As for hair algae; i made a post just now to address that; just because it seems to be a common problem for others too.
Solution to Battling Hair Algae

Got back in action after a long hiatus, year + (check my tank thread for more deets), so figured I'd try :eek:)

1) Please post 1-2 photos of your freshly new tanks, include at least 1 full-tank shot... even if it’s ugly.

this is during.... lol! Don't even have a before pic of how bad it was :eek:)

Today after another WC (so cloudy still)

* I custom handbuilt my stand by the way, so that is good to go at least :eek:)

2) Tell us a bit about your plans for this new tank! What types of fish or coral are your favorite? At least 2 sentences, but no limit on a maximum. It’s okay to get excited!

To get it back to better than it's prime! New technology now should make the less time than optimal more manageable. Love coral, mainly softies, but will have a mixed reef. Fish will be added slowly and with thought! I have a purple tang and a black something clown still in there and alive so will take that under consideration.

3) Include the approximate date that you set up the aquarium, approximate dates that you plan to add your first fish and/or coral (or if you recently added, then share those dates).

Lord knows... Maybe originally 2014? Started again-ish in last 2-3 months. Once params are in check lol! No telling when it will be ready for more inhabitants (getting some pods to add today though!)

Ok I think I'm right on the line here. I probably haven't been going as slow as I should.
Tank started April 21

10 gallon standard tank

Aquaknight LED (probably 40%)
Jebao tw-10(30ish%)
Aquaclear 50 hob w/ skimmer attachment
Two black snowflake clowns
Tailspot blenny
Fire shrimp
2 blue hermits
1 red(scarlet?) Hermit
Ninja star snail, 2 trochus

I admit I probably got too many coral too fast but you guys are so awesome and the auctions easily filled this little tank.

I keep getting red cyanobacteria underneath the powerhead been debating whether to move the HOB to the other side.

I will have a 30-60g cycling in the next month or so and then this will become my QT/frag tank

Attachments

• IMG_20190714_130157.jpg
    IMG_20190714_130157.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190714_130317.jpg
    IMG_20190714_130317.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190714_130247.jpg
    IMG_20190714_130247.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20190714_130247.jpg
    IMG_20190714_130247.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Hey everybody.
Don’t forget about this small contest. It’s time to reward the winner!

@1mbrews8, Looks like you’ve earned yourself a big bucket o salt! I’ll pm you my contact, and you can come pick it up anytime.

Additionally, I want to send an honorable mention to @awodzenski . Keep up the good work!

Hey everybody.
Don’t forget about this small contest. It’s time to reward the winner!

@1mbrews8, Looks like you’ve earned yourself a big bucket o salt! I’ll pm you my contact, and you can come pick it up anytime.

Additionally, I want to send an honorable mention to @awodzenski . Keep up the good work!

Very cool! Thank you so much! I'll pm ya

Back