Controllable Ambient Temperature Range

cdelaney

Supporting
Reaction score
I have (almost) the perfect place in my "extra" garage to put a frag/ grow out tank. The garage is connected to the house and fairly well insulated but I'm not sure the range of temperature swings as it isn't climate controlled. I'm open to adding portable room heater and ac to the garage (I work for an "indoor air treatment" products retailer.)

Obviously there are heaters and chillers for the water as well. what do you guys think a safe range is high and low and accounting for swings. what to consider?

I have (almost) the perfect place in my "extra" garage to put a frag/ grow out tank. The garage is connected to the house and fairly well insulated but I'm not sure the range of temperature swings as it isn't climate controlled. I'm open to adding portable room heater and ac to the garage (I work for an "indoor air treatment" products retailer.)

Obviously there are heaters and chillers for the water as well. what do you guys think a safe range is high and low and accounting for swings. what to consider?
it's a single car garage about 12 x 20

I have an 80g frag tank in my unheated, uncooled basement and it's not an issue. In the winter the ambient air temp can get down to the 50's and the only issue is that I got through a lot of top off water because the cold dry air really sucks the moisture out. In a garage, I'd be more worried about the heat (as long as the tank has a good water volume). My basement will only get up to the 70's in the heat of summer and I can get the temps down with a simple clip on fan. So, to answer your question directly, in my experience a safe ambient air temp range is from the 50's to the 70's. The high summer temps would cause me more worry than the lows.

I have a 60 gallon frag tank w/sump (75 gal. total volume) in my garage, it's under my living room so doesn't get terribly cold. I use two heaters totalling 600watts with a controller. In the summer I run a 1/10hp chiller which has always been plenty for temps over 90° in the garage.

The range should be this.. Whatever you are comfortable working in, b/c you can easily add chillers/heaters, but for me, I am not going to sweat my butt off in the summer months. Mini-Split all the way, and make it comfortable for you! Also keeps down the humidity as you already know, again more for you and the mold on the walls than the fish/corals due to chillers/heaters.

Back