Controllable Koralia's

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
Anyone given these guys a shot yet? Looking to possibly use them for a 75 or 90?

Thanks,
Jorge

I haven't used the controller, but the pumps themselves are just lower voltage than the regular pumps. Still alternating current. Still clatter when turned on. I assume the controller has some kind of voltage/frequency ramp-down/ramp up to avoid clatter. The price per pump with the controller bumps them solidly into Tunze 6055 range.

I was pretty disappointed with this scheme and decided to go with one of the Ecotech Marine pumps after seeing them in action at MACNA.

George;217078 wrote: I haven't used the controller, but the pumps themselves are just lower voltage than the regular pumps. Still alternating current. Still clatter when turned on. I assume the controller has some kind of voltage/frequency ramp-down/ramp up to avoid clatter. The price per pump with the controller bumps them solidly into Tunze 6055 range.

I was pretty disappointed with this scheme and decided to go with one of the Ecotech Marine pumps after seeing them in action at MACNA.
i agree 100%:up:

I'm not impressed at all. I'd much rather go with the vortech or tunze

Yeah. It's a shame considering how good the ball-joint mount design is and how economical the regular flow pumps are compared to other AC flow pumps.

yeah, I see three problems with them:

1. The pumps won't work without the controller (unlike the tunze)

2. Too expensive for being a koralia.

3. A controller can only controll 2 pumps (unless something has changed recently)

interesting...thanks guys.

That solves that. I really like the regular Korlia's but doesn't sound like the controllable lived up t he expectation. I'm thinking of going Vortech but I'm hesitant to spend the cash.

I know the Tunzes are great but imo, it's like having a big black brick in the tank. I wish the did a better job designing them.

Haven't heard much of the Ecotech's....Ill do some research on those

lol..first thing i noticed right after googling.....lol

I imagine one vortech will be enough for a 75-90 right?

Skriz;217258 wrote: 3. A controller can only controll 2 pumps (unless something has changed recently)

I think there are two controllers because they definitely had a 4 powerhead controller at MACNA

There is a 4 pump controller that costs $490 at Marine Depot without the pumps which is $200 more than the 2 pump version. Considering it locks you into a proprietary system, definitely look elsewhere.

George;217278 wrote: There is a 4 pump controller that costs $490 at Marine Depot without the pumps which is $200 more than the 2 pump version. Considering it locks you into a proprietary system, definitely look elsewhere.

The system does look very pretty in person though, and that's what really matters, not performance/price!

Agreed that they do look much nicer than the Tunzes. I was surprised how big the 6055 was when I saw it in person at MACNA. For aesthetics, Vortech is the clear winner there.

4x Koralia 4's plus the 4 way controller comes to $750 which is only $90 less than 2 Vortechs. I'd definitely go with the Vortechs unless I had some special flow pattern I simply had to set up.

Even a single Vortech can produce excellent flow and wave patterns with the pulse mode. I'll be putting one MP40 on my 60 hex and porting my old Koralias down to the refugium.

Back