Convert mg/l to meq/l or dKH?

rostato

Market
Reaction score
I am almost out of my Salifert KH test kit, so I got a Hach alkalinity kit, and cannot seem to figure out where mg/l compares to meq/l or dKH.

Any inputs?

Still googling, if I figure it out I'll post.

All i know is that 2.8*meq/L equals dKH. But that is not what you are looking for...

So post if you find it.

Yeah I found that, and all sorts of other conversions, like how to find alkalinity by using calcium and magnesium levels, but nothing I need.

I am beginning to think its not a possible conversion, but I am no chemist, just some dummy trying to read dKH values in his tank before his calcium reactor kills everything...

found this written by David E. Ramos...only problem is there is no calcium carbonate (CaCO3) conversion...
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
319731=16017-z conversion.jpg
>
319731=16017-z conversion.jpg
class="gc-images" title="z conversion.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Does the hatch kit not have instructions that tell you what the appropriate range in mg/L is? If you knew that you might be able to ballpark it, realtively.

Maybe call Hach customer service and see if they know.

How it just tells you how to get readings. I may call them good Idea...

First Google hit:

This is the correct conversion from milliequivalents/liter (meq/l) to degrees. To convert from mg/l of alkalinity to meq/l you have to divide the alkalinity by 50 to get meq/liter, then you multiply by 2.8 to get degrees. Or just divide by 17.9 - its the same thing.

ok, what did you search? I am gonna go test it and see if I get a close reading to my Salifert

Ok here are the results.

It took 8 drops of tritant to change colors. I had to multiply that number by 20

8x20=160 mg/l

16050= 3.2 meq/l = 9dKH

My salifert reads 8 dKH, so I think its darn close enough to be correct THANKS!

Looks like I am staying in range to start VSV again...very nice:D

What is the range needed for VSV? I've been looking into it but decided that my current skimmer is not sufficient.

by the way I was being all technical searching milliequivalent per liter to milligrams per liter. Guess thats what I get for trying to be specific...

You want to keep your dKH between 8-9 preferably arouns 8.5. This is only so you don't burn the tips of your SPS.

Personally, I ran an 11dKH last time and did not see any ill effects, but I only rant it for like a month and a half before I upgraded. I couldnt get it any lower than that because I was using reef crystals, now I use seachem!

rostato;319757 said:
You want to keep your dKH between 8-9 preferably arouns 8.5. This is only so you don't burn the tips of your SPS.QUOTE]

Please explain....tips starting to turn white? Checking my dkh now!

Just checked...it's at 10. My G/F noticed my starrynight acro has white tips growing, I thought it was just the lighting, nothing else has changed....hmmm

That is only if your dosing Vokda Vinegar and or Sugar. White tips are usually new growth...

http://ozreef.org/library/tables/alkalinity_conversion.html">http://ozreef.org/library/tables/alkalinity_conversion.html</a>

Great link. I keep it bookmarked for when I dose KH since the Seachem stuff is the same way and I use Elos kits which are dKH.

Back