Convert Single Durso to Bean Animal?

hzheng33

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Peachtree Corners (Near Norcross High School)
Alright you reef gurus, let me pick your brain a bit:

This tank is a peninsula tank with one drain line and one return line. These holes are drilled at the bottom of the tank.

1) can I convert the existing overflow to Bean Animal?

2) if so, how?

I may be wrong but I don't believe you can given that it's drilled on the bottom. If memory serves me correctly, a Bean Animal system is 3 holes drilled in the back of the aquarium.

a>

I may be wrong but I don't believe you can given that it's drilled on the bottom. If memory serves me correctly, a Bean Animal system is 3 holes drilled in the back of the aquarium.

a>

porpoiseaquatics;1057805 wrote: I may be wrong but I don't believe you can given that it's drilled on the bottom. If memory serves me correctly, a Bean Animal system is 3 holes drilled in the back of the aquarium.

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx">http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx</a>[/QUOTE]
yup, I agree with you jeff. I just thought something can be done other than plug up the existing holes and drill some more holes on the back panel of the tank.

Are you not interested in a herbie overflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Herbie style overflow consists of a full siphon and a backup emergency overflow pipe. Only difference from Bean Animal is that it doesn't have the open channel line (1 less redundancy)

562c4f07ac303de3584eb490ccdcede6.jpg
alt="" />

You could either drill the return or have it hook over the rim of the tank.

If there is an overflow box the location of the holes are irreverent as far as function goes. You possibly could drill an emergency overflow in the back if you so desired.

grouper therapy;1057812 wrote: If there is an overflow box the location of the holes are irreverent as far as function goes. You possibly could drill an emergency overflow in the back if you so desired.

^+1

Yup when we do the conversions we just use both holes for the drains and hook over the back of the tank with the return PVC as Grant mentioned. Personally we prefer the hook to drilling the back, especially for resell value. I don't know of any emergencies since being with Premier concerning then Herbie style overflows.

hzheng33;1057962 wrote: here's a silly question: if I were to go with the herbie overflow and use hook/hang on returns, how do I make sure the return line is securely fastened?

does anyone have a picture of their hang on return?

Simplest way is to use PVC clamps to secure the pipe to your stand.

You can use clamps if you really feel the need, but if you hard plumb it with a hook, it shouldn't go anywhere.

Back