Converting from Mixed to SPS Dominant reef

Dmitri

Market
Reaction score
Hi folks, looking to get some tips for this major conversion.

I currently have 150 display mixed reef and I want to completely rescape it and convert it to SPS dominant tank.

What steps would i need to take to be successful?

Thanks.

Hi!

I don't think the process has to be super complicated. I've done fairly well keeping sticks in the past, and now have more a a mixed situation, so I've done this in reverse ha. I think to really help we would need some specifics about your setup. Flow, lighting, water specifics (alk, ph, ca, mg). Water change schedule, and what salt you're using. That said, there are a few basic things that probably apply.

1) you'll want to make sure your lighting is SPS friendly. However, if you're just doing digitatas and caps your LPS lighting might be adequate.

2) make sure your alk is VERY stable. The number one killer of SPS, IMO, is alk issues.

3) if you have a lot of LPS make sure you have room for SPS. I don't know of an sps that will beat out an LPS in a turf war.

I'll leave you with this, and I think it holds more true for those who keep sps than anything else, and it keeps my brain geared the right way: Remember we are keepers of water, and the corals simply exist there. If you keep perfect water then you'll have no issues with any coral you choose.

Looking forward to those specifics!

B

I agree with snowmansnow, you might also want to consider getting very accurate testing equipment like Hanna checkers; look in to getting a dosing pump for calcium, alk, and mag; or look into a calcium reactor. Stability via my dose pump is what has kept my sps alive ( I’m also new to it ) for several months and produced good growth. Ph also plays a big part, I use my apex to graph ph and give me a good idea where my alk is or if there are swings. One other thing that I do is dose amino acids via Reef Energy, low nutrient systems with clean water need some additive for coral to use to grow. Don’t get your water too clean, there’s a reason you can mix water and just add coral to it, coral eats poop to grow.

I agree with most everything above, but if you're just starting out with frags IMO theres no need to jump in with caRx and such. Just get some good test kits, test regularly, and dose CA / ALK for a while :) Enjoy the ride. SPS can be very rewarding. At the same time they can completely make you want to quit :)

Reef ON.

Back