Cookie Cutter Section????

stroid

Market
Reaction score
I have been in the hobby of fish keeping a couple years now and I realized that cookie cutter are great for begginers. I know on my cichlid forum they have many cookie cutter sections that describe basic setup, relative cost, and types of animals that can go together. Really I am trying to see if people here would want to organize something like this for our site. I would be willing to contribute for the nano style tanks but I dont have much experience with Plumbing, UV, etc....(things on bigger systems). Anyways just a suggestion let me know your thoughts...this could help alot of people out. If this already exists where is it lol!

Example (very generic)

30G Cube
20lbs of LS
30lbs of LR
Type of Lighting: List different options with types of corals that go with it.
Types of Fish: Depends on size of tank and type of fish.

The problem is there are so many different ways to setting up a reef tank (or FOLR for that matter) that it would take forever to list all the different oprions and pros and cons for each.

Plus no offense to anyone, but I think HAVING to read about the different ways and learn the pros and cons is what makes you a better reefer. I think if you put a "cook book" approach together the person 1) never learns about what is in their tank, 2) and never learns why!!! Look at the people who just buy what their LFS tells them to. They have no idea as to why and wonder why their tank fails in the first 6 months!

very good point Brandon I guess with FW it is alot simpler. I guess i was aiming at something very generic to give people a starting point.

having just started, I think some newbie articles would be great. Stuff like rock and sand wasn't an issue.

But on the other hand, I did most of my research going to other forums and reading on member-tanks. Our section doesn't have much info, but places like nano-reef.com have pretty active topics. Just find a tank like what you want then try to follow their pattern.

Stroid;50963 wrote: very good point Brandon I guess with FW it is alot simpler. I guess i was aiming at something very generic to give people a starting point.

I do not think it is a bad idea... I just think it is hard to pull off with out MUCH debate because there is always a "better" way to do it in someones mind and it is not the way you are writing about! ;) I learned that the hard way with my Ich Wiki... We are still debating it to this day! :yes:

I think the Wiki would be the perfect place to put something like that together... Now just to get more people to realize that we have a Wiki! :doh:

Back