cool behavior

rockdog

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Georgia;">I just saw a cool behavior in my tank, this may not be new to anyone but I think it is cool. </span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;"></span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;">I am fighting Ich in my tank right now (using Kick-Ick), any suggestions are welcomed. </span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;">The cool thing I saw was what the 6-line wrasse was doing, he was pecking the cysts off of my tang and angle. I think that is just cool, I wonder who told him to do that? I think my new favorite fish is the 6-line!! whoooooooooooorayyyyyyy 6-line!! Well I guess I need to get a cleaner shrimp for this also, I know they will do this, just didn't know a 6-line would.</span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;">I need everyone to pray for the Ich to DIE!!! </span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;">Thank You </span>
<span style="font-family: Georgia;">Jason</span>

The best way to fight ick..Is to remove the fish and quaranteen them..If you can't do it like that such as in my case (240 with LOTS OF ROCK)..I would suggested for you to change the water often and get the biggest UV light you can afford for the tank. The ICK topic comes up just about every other week. I tried garlic, antibiotics, black magic spell but none seems to work.

Here is the place that I ordered a 36w UV sterilizer for very cheap. Since I have installed the UV, I notice the ick have stabilized. It has not gone completely but what it does is give ample time for the fish to heal and build up strengh. Be sure to order an additional bulb just so you won't have a hard time to find it since I presume most UV lights only last aout 6-8 months.

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=288">http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=288</a>

They have really cheap stuff but shipping was a little high. Got it in 4-5 days.

As for the 6 line picking at the fish. Thats actually is bad since to my understand the ICK is forming a cyst under the skin of the fish not on the outside and they are usually release during the night.

The Ich is bad enough that the 6-line will not get it all, I guess I am going to try the UV. And to add insult to injury the Regal tang that brought the Ich into the tank was in the tank for 5 days and died, with NO signs if ich. After it died 2 days and the ich started showing up. I will fight it and hope foe the best!!

Jason

SIx lines have been known to act as cleaners; pretty cool that yours is actually doing it.

The best thing to fight ich is to feed your fish a crap load and keep them full and healthy in every other way. They will naturally fight off the ich. Garlic helps too; not sure if it's the actual garlic doing the good or if it just entices the fish to eat more, but it works.

Water changes are great because they will keep the water quality good, which in turn keeps the fishies happier and healthier.

I'm not a fan of UV because it can only kill what's in the water column and it requires ALOT of maintenance. You have to change the bulbs every 6 months and you must clean the unit with vinegar constanly. Otherwise, the light won't penetrate as well and wont kill anything. Lastly, you will need a much larger unit than is reccomended by the manufacturer.

Please dont rely on your 6 line to eliminate this pathogen. It will not happen. More than likely, the 6 line thinks the cysts are parasitic copepods, and is trying to forage a natural diet item. Instead, it is getting a mouthful of disease. Be very watchful of the 6 line getting ick now.

If you are using Ruby Reef's Kick-Ick, you will need to do 2 complete treatments over 6 weeks.

panda no wories on that I wouldn't think of that. I am using other means. I have never seen that behavior previous so I was guessing as to the reason.

I am using Kick-Ich and I am planning to go throught 2 rounds. Just need to check the bottle and see if I am going to need 2.

Thank You all, and keep them comming...

Jason

Back