Cool shells

Pilsburynlove

Market
Reaction score
Check these out

Th
Check these out

They are pretty, but hermit crabs have minds of their own and would probably kill a snail for an ugly shell! Lol, I learned that from several members.

Different hermit species tend to strongly prefer shells from different species of snails.

For Mexican Red Leg hermits and blue leg hermits, your best choice would be Indo Ceriths shells over most others. For Scarlet Reef hermits, they seem to prefer small conch and whelk shells (but this is a sample size of only 30-50, so more is needed on Scarlet Reef hermits).

But if you wanted to work backwards from a Turbo shell, I’d recommend an Electric Blue Leg Hermit. A stunning reef safe (slightly expensive) hermit. That said, I wouldn’t recommend more than 1 or 2 in anything under 125g. This is because they share 2 characteristics with Turbo snails: 1) They get big, racquetball-tennisball sized, and 2) like turbo snails, they will bulldoze your corals with no regard and knock things over.

Of course, as anyone else will point out, these shells will be covered in purple coralline with a month or so in any established tank.

For that, I prefer using shells with interesting shapes! Like those from various murex snails. And I keep my crabs in those shells by limiting their options, understanding their preferences, and giving them new shells of appropriate size on occasion.

Of course, as anyone else will point out, these shells will be covered in purple coralline with a month or so in any established tank.

For that, I prefer using shells with interesting shapes! Like those from various murex snails. And I keep my crabs in those shells by limiting their options, understanding their preferences, and giving them new shells of appropriate size on occasion.
Didn't think about that

Back