Cooling water

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
So my mixing station is in my garage and needles to say my mixed water is warm, 92F to be exact. I put about 5 ice packs in baggies and started floating them in the water and turned my pump off to hopefully bring it down. Any better ideas w/o using a chiller?

The ice packs didn't work too well. Since posting they've already thawed and no drop in temp. I'll try ice now but I'm not expecting much.

Don't sweat it.
I used to freak out about my garage water temps. If you do your 10% weekly that you're supposed to it won't have much of an impact on your tank temp.
I have a chiller on the DT so maybe that skews my thoughts about this.. I see 1-2 degree jump on a 90g. I even have a 1/2 unused chiller in garage that I was going to plumb but it just doesn't seem worth it.

Mixing station pumps don't need to run 24/7. Mine is set up so once the salt is mixed, the pump comes on 5 minutes every 3 hours. More than enough time, IME. I run the pump continuously for a few hours to initially mix the salt, but after that it goes on the timed mix.

You could also do smaller volume, more frequent water changes so you don't spike the DT temp as much with a larger volume change. Other than that, I don't see many other ways to lessen the temp besides a chiller.

The frozen water jug/bottle method seems to work pretty well on my 15 gallon changes. The other method I use is to bring the mixed water in my living room over night and let the ac do is thing.

I gonna be battling with garage temperatures as well, my plans were to make an isolated 6'x4' area or 8x4, where I could keep the temperature lowered (in the warm season and the opposite in the cold weather) this area could be insulated with 8x4 ISO boards.
I have a chiller, but don't want to have it running much.

HiImSean;968271 wrote: I'm doing little 5g changes. Temp jumped up .5*

That's not bad at all. I would not worry about a .5 degree change (Fahrenheit I assume)?

Acroholic;968283 wrote: That's not bad at all. I would not worry about a .5 degree change (Fahrenheit I assume)?

Yeah Fahrenheit.

David, it's the drastic temp change in worried about. Mine usually goes from 77.5-80 in the summer now but I want to keep it below 80 as much as possible.

Like many of you, I have 2, 44 gallon brutes, one for RO/DI only and one I use for salt. The day before I am going to do a water change, I unhook the RO, and wheel it towards indoor entrance. The empty saltwater container is rolled inside house entrance and water is pumped and filled. saltwater bucket is rolled to tank, after a couple of hours, salt is added and within 12-18 hours water is at 76, and salt water is ready and well aero rated from power heads in brute. I do this weekly.

You could always just fill ten gallons or whatever you want (or put it in buckets), as long as u get it in the house the day before...

If your mixing station is very similar to Ralph's and your using Brutes, why not using insulation pads? I have seen them, vey similar to house insulation, they come in rolls of 2x8 feet or longer. Was thinking about wrapping brutes and keep an eye on the temp to check if there's any difference. I think bottom and top has to be insulated too. Might work

mysterybox;968311 wrote: Like many of you, I have 2, 44 gallon brutes, one for RO/DI only and one I use for salt. The day before I am going to do a water change, I unhook the RO, and wheel it towards indoor entrance. The empty saltwater container is rolled inside house entrance and water is pumped and filled. saltwater bucket is rolled to tank, after a couple of hours, salt is added and within 12-18 hours water is at 76, and salt water is ready and well aero rated from power heads in brute. I do this weekly.

You could always just fill ten gallons or whatever you want (or put it in buckets), as long as u get it in the house the day before...

this whole process takes like 20 minutes, but while 1 brute is filling the other with RO/DI, I am still able to do things localized...

Back