Copper in live rock?

tbrennan

Supporting
Reaction score
Ok so I got some pretty cool pieces of rock the other day that I just couldn’t live without. But I have a question. So the rock was in a fowlr tank and was treated with copper. Is there a risk of copper leaching out of the rock? Is there a way I can remove the copper? Maybe soak the rock in a bleach bath dry it out, clean it up and then run it in a stock tank with a carbon reactor?

I don't believe bleach would affect copper. Removal would depend on the type of copper that was used. I know Cupramine says it can be easily removed with chemical filtration (activated carbon), but I would never trust any rock exposed to copper in my tanks with coral or inverts.

I don't believe bleach would affect copper. Removal would depend on the type of copper that was used. I know Cupramine says it can be easily removed with chemical filtration (activated carbon), but I would never trust any rock exposed to copper in my tanks with coral or inverts.
Could I soak it and then test the levels and see if it is leaching out at all? I really hope I can. Such a shame. Some really sweet shelf pieces I couldn’t pass up on and got 20 pounds for $20.

Yeah... that's a gamble there. No telling how long it was in the tank with the copper and how long it could take to leach all of it back out to feel safe enough to use in a reef setup.

Like you said, it's a shame. Then again, it may not leach any out... a big gamble.

Yeah... that's a gamble there. No telling how long it was in the tank with the copper and how long it could take to leach all of it back out to feel safe enough to use in a reef setup.

Like you said, it's a shame. Then again, it may not leach any out... a big gamble.
Think I’m gonna try my luck with it. I have a few months for it to cure so I am thinking about setting it in a 10g tank and running a hob filter on it with a big load of carbon. Test for copper every couple of weeks to see if I notice any changes.

Is there a risk of copper leaching out?
Yes

Can you remove it?
Yes, but it will be challenging.

Should you bleach in copper, dry it out, etc?
No, neither bleach or drying it out will help with copper levels.

Copper is deadly, especially to invertebrates such as corals, clean up crew, and the beneficial bacteria that live in our tank. And this copper is in your rock now. Rather than attempting the impossible task of removing 100% of it; make your new target as removing enough copper to reduce it to low-risk levels.

For me, this would mean removing copper to the point where I could no longer test for it; then doubling my efforts to remove any lingering undetectable amount.

I would first target it with dilution. Put it in a separate bucket and allow as much copper to leach out as possible. Do a water change on the bucket every couple days for at least several weeks. For phase two, I would repeat the phase 1 dilution plan, but with RODI water. And do this for several more weeks and/or months.

For phase three, I would use a compound designed to help pull copper out of the water, such as cuprisorb or any similar compound really. This could go on for an indefinite time period.

Throughout this process, I would be testing for copper regularly. As testing reveals lower and lower copper levels, I would allow longer and longer periods between water changes. This is to allow larger amounts of copper to leach out and be read in the test. Someday, you will read 0.00ppm copper. On this day, I would make a note, replace my copper-removing compound, change out the bucket I was using, and let it sit for at least another month or two. Then test the water to see if I still read 0.00.

If I read trace amounts of copper, repeat and repeat until I don’t read any more copper.

If my copper levels read 0.00, then I would repeat the process for another month or two before putting it in my tank.

This may sound very conservative. But it’s not worth it to put a $20 rock into your tank if it will kill hundreds/thousands of animals 1 year from now and cost you thousands of dollars. It pays to be cautious, not only to save money and effort, but also to save heart-ache.

Back