Copper questions

platyplakia

Market
Reaction score
I bought a used tank a while back and now I'm using it for a sump. My question is how long should I leave water in it before I will be able to notice if there's any copper leaching out? Second, does anyone have a copper test I can borrow or are there any LFS's that have them on hand? Thanks.

i got one for ya jaime... send me some water via usps, or i'll send you my test kit in the mail, and u can hand it back at the next meeting,,

Thanks Jaime. Do you know how long I should leave water in the tank to make sure it will register when I do the test? And I just sent you a PM completely off subject. Hope everything's doing ok for ya after your incedent.

Why are you worried about copper?
Cause I don't know where the tank came from or it's history. And it's my understanding that copper will kill inverts and such. I just don't want to take any chances. Better to find out with a test than with livestock.

another sure fire test is to use a poly filter ...thery change color based of metals in the water...I think they turn blue in the presence of copper..

Thanks Charlie. It's a 55 gal tank and the sump is a 20 long with my baffles standing at about 9 inches high. I would GUESS about 13 to 15 gallons of water, but I don't feel like doing the math. The silicon is not blue, but I do keep poly pads in stock. I'm a big fan myself. What ratio of vinegar to water should I use. Should I just run tap water or do I need to use RODI?

Fair enough. I guess it'll have to wait til tomorrow. Thanks for the help I'm gonna start up my RODI. Should have enough by tomorrow. And should I use balsamic or red wine vinegar? J/K. I have some distilled. I'll just make a small batch to clean up the tank and pick some more up later.

Back