Copperband Butterfly Tips

reeferkeifer

Market
Reaction score
I just got a new Copperband and he is gorgeous. I knew that they were a little bit difficult to care for but does anybody have any recommendations for care based on experience?

Obviously, the first thing is to find what they will eat. Start with frozen brine shrimp and move through all the foods until you find what it likes the best. Once you get it to eat, most of the battle is won.

Live black worms are a staple. I've read lots will eat different clams as well. Make sure you get fresh stuff for them. They are probably one of he more difficult fish to get to eat.

Try finding pre-shucked frozen oysters. They love oysters on the half shell;)

HiImSean;1016702 wrote: Live black worms are a staple. I've read lots will eat different clams as well. Make sure you get fresh stuff for them. They are probably one of he more difficult fish to get to eat.

Are all butterflies like this? I am considering one, but if they will eat clams, I will need to reconsider.

Most are pretty hard to get to eat prepared foods. Some are easier than others. There is a very good, long thread about CBB as well as a few others about Butterflies in reefs on Reef Central. There's a member over there, SDguy, that has a lot of butterfly experience. His threads can help you out.

ReeferKeifer;1016681 wrote: I just got a new Copperband and he is gorgeous. I knew that they were a little bit difficult to care for but does anybody have any recommendations for care based on experience?

Kieth,

We had all our available copperbands eating frozen mysis and LRS.

SEA Atlanta;1016839 wrote: Kieth,

We had all our available copperbands eating frozen mysis and LRS.

That's what I have been feeding as well, PE Mysis and LRS Fish Frenzy. I take frozen chucks of each, thaw them in RO water for a few minutes to loosen it up and dump it in. All other fish go crazy but the CBB is curious but not taking bites. I'll keep at it.

It's weird that he isn't even giving it the time of day. I fed the tank again he just swam right by pieces. He is grazing around the rocks though.

So my CBB has not touched anything since the last ARC meeting which is when I got him. I have tried LRS and PE Mysis which is what it was eating at the store. Fresh clams and oysters in the shell and nothing. He is starting to swim funny. Last minute tips? Where can I get the live black worms?

Now it's a race against time. I did a 25 gallon water change (RO water &Red Sea Salt. Salinity at 1.024sg) yesterday and ever since my CBB has been either laying flat on the substrate or swimming very very slowly. Hopefully I can get to Pure Reef for black worms in enough time. Say a prayer ya'll for Dr. Kenneth Noisewater. That's my CBBs name.

ReeferKeifer;1018455 wrote: Now it's a race against time. I did a 25 gallon water change (RO water &Red Sea Salt. Salinity at 1.024sg) yesterday and ever since my CBB has been either laying flat on the substrate or swimming very very slowly. Hopefully I can get to Pure Reef for black worms in enough time. Say a prayer ya'll for Dr. Kenneth Noisewater. That's my CBBs name.

Good luck, hope the fish is able to pull through. Maybe see what other live foods they might have. You could also try adding extra garlic juices to the food to promote eating.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. Unfortunately, by the time I got home yesterday with the black worms I bought, Dr. Kenneth Noisewater, CBB had already swam forth into the big aquarium in the sky. I can't say it was fun while it lasted but that is a lesson I had to learn. Know the fish before you buy it.

Back