Coral acclimation to new lights

haninja

Lifetime
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Tahoma;">I’m planning to start moving corals from my 20g to my new 46g. The 20g has 2x65w (10k and actinic) PC and the new one has 2x175w MH (10k) and 2x39w T5 (actinic).</span>
<span style="font-family: Tahoma;">Do I need to acclimate them to the lights? I have polyps, mushrooms, hammerhead, Kenya zoa and GSP.</span>
<span style="font-family: Tahoma;">Also in general, iif you buy corals from a store and they where kept under VHO or T5 and then place them in high PAR MH environment?</span>
<span style="font-family: Tahoma;"> </span>
<span style="font-family: Tahoma;">I read some suggestions like: starting with a short photo period and slowly increasing the duration, placing the new light high and gradually lowering it and the last one is putting a few layers of bugs screen over the tank and gradually removing layers…</span>

the thing i would say to do is to place at bottom of tank and dont keep lights on for the first day ( about the light thing i am not sure doubble check with someoneelse) and then start slowly over the period of a week to where u want them. that is what i did with the hammer i had an dno problem.

Yes you are going to need to acclimate your corals to the new light as best as you can.

I normally just start them low in the tank (where the Par from your lights will be in the 60's) and move then up over the period of a week or two to where they are going to spend their lives. (Your Par at the top will be about 180 or so)

<span style="color: black;">Seems like the screen method will be the easiest to do. I see a trip to home depot&#8230;</span>

Back