Coral advice!!

jason sartain

Market
Reaction score
OK,My wife and I are coming to Atlanta this afternoon for the party and we are going to goto a few sponser stores that we haven't been to before,my question is if I buy some frags,will they be OK in a cooler overnight as long as I keep some heat packs in the cooler with them?
They may be in the cooler for up to 12-15 hours.
And I know some shippments are boxed up for days at a time,but I'm still a little concered.
Please LMK ASAP because we're packing right now for the trip!!!
Can't wait to meet you guy's!!!!:yay:

Don't know about 12-15 hrs but I bought some frags testerday and they were O.K. for about 3 hrs. My LFS owner tells me his livestock is in transit for 60 hrs. with heatpacks in the boxes. I'm still fairly new at this so don't take my word as gospel.

Buy a few chemical hand warmer at Home Depot or Walmart and duct tape it to the inside top of the cooler They work great and most shippers us them

hould be fine, you are pushing it but should be fine. main thing is to keep them warm.

You'll be more than fine; coral shipments from california are packed that way for longer.

Just keep some heat packs in the cooler, and you'll be fine. Make sure you keep a "spacer" between the heat pack and the baggies-may get too much direct heat and boil the coral.

I get the impression that you're staying here overnight. WHy don't you wait until Sunday to pick up the corals?

Well you're right,we are staying overnight.But we are also going to a couple of place's before the party tonight and I might buy something.
I guess I just like being prepared.

Some soft corals (mainly leathers and xenia) do not do well when lets for that long. That is why they are such bad shippers.

You could do this... if you find something today that you like, pay for it, tell the owner what is going on and I am sure they will hold it for you until you leave tomorrow. Just an idea, if they are sponsors I see no reason why they wouldn't especially if you paid for it already! :)

BTW... we are looking forward to seeing you tonight along with everyone else!

Back