Coral Banded Shrimp

kirkwood

Market
Reaction score
What kind of risk does a fully mature coral banded shrimp pose to tank mates such as snails, hermits, emerald crabs, cleaner shrimp, and smaller fish like firefish, gobies, and blennies.

I have not witnessed any aggression to date, however I don't watch him at night. I've read that their claws are not that strong and they mostly prey on bristleworms. I'm asking now because I recently added a pair of purple firefish and I lost one of them on the 3rd day. It is possible that he died because I noticed him hiding in a cave for the entire 2nd day, however the surviving firefish made 2 trips to the sump within the first week and is still doing great so I know they are hardy.. I have a canopy with a couple of open fan wholes that the missing firefish could have escaped through however i've thoroughly looked and have seen no evidence. I just want to make sure before I add more small community fish that I don't have a nocturnal predator on my hands.

From personal experience, they will kill and eat fish and other shrimp. I can't speak to the strength of their claws but I am certain they aren't there for cleaning.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/arthropoda/shrimp/corlband.htm">http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/arthropoda/shrimp/corlband.htm</a>

I had one for 3 years. It definitely ate other crabs and shrimp, but not fish. Wouldn't put it past a large and hungry enough one though.

I've had them several times over the years, without anything other than occasional territory disputes with other shrimp.

I did feed them though, and think that has a lot to do with aggression.

I watched my CBS one night come up on a peppermint shrimp molting. Touched it a few times and it moved on. If aggressive it would have devoured the helpless peppermint. I would guess it depends on the individual. Also whether or not it is starving, if hungry you might eat anything.

I had a big one for a long time that liked to act like a tough guy and charge basically everything that moved but never caught or did anything. I couldn't even get it to eat mysis or scallop chunks or anything meaty at all. All bark, no bite!

2ruble;815795 wrote: <span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">I lost an orange spot goby within 24 hours to my CBS not too terribly long ago. I feed my tank every few days, so he was probably hungry... but I put my goby in on a Saturday, Sunday afternoon I walked into the room and "Rambo" (lol) was holding the headless goby with one claw, and feeding him self out of it's body with the other....</span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana"> </span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">So they CAN be aggresive... other than that... never seen anything bad from him... occasional snail shells are upside down and empty, but not very often...</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px"> </span></span>

I lost a baby Blacker Ice (1 of 2) a few weeks after putting in my tank. I tore my tank apart (28 cube) looking for him the day he went missing and there was 0 sign of it. I had a huge Elephant Ear Mushroom that I thought ate it, it's mouth was bigger than my Blacker Ice. But now I wondering if it could have been my CBS, it is pretty large too!
If this is at all possible....I want my CBS gone! I'm trying hard to replace the baby Blacker I lost, it's mate is lonely and my favorite fish by far!
What do you think, should I remove the CBS to be safe?

Mine picked off four large peppermints one at a time over a couple months. Then took a clownish that was struggling with ich and then took out two fire fish gobies while they slept one night. That was enough, donated him to a LFS.

I have a golden coral banded now which is smaller and not aggressive at all, just territorial to his cave where he spends all of the daylight hours and scavenges at night.

2ruble;815795 wrote: <span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">I lost an orange spot goby within 24 hours to my CBS not too terribly long ago. I feed my tank every few days, so he was probably hungry... but I put my goby in on a Saturday, Sunday afternoon I walked into the room and "Rambo" (lol) was holding the headless goby with one claw, and feeding him self out of it's body with the other....</span></span>

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">So they CAN be aggresive... other than that... never seen anything bad from him... occasional snail shells are upside down and empty, but not very often...</span></span>

did you actually see the CBS attack the goby? is it possible that the goby just didn't acclimate well, died that first night, and then the CBS claimed the scraps... i'm just not sure if my CBS attacked my purple firefish or if it died at night and then devoured it leaving no traces by the next morning.

i had one in 96 mean sob killed every fish and crab snail in my tank it could catch first was my wrass then it went down hill from there i like the guys qnd have one in a nano now with out fish

Are we all talking about the same organism here?

I've had mantis shrimp that killed and ate fish, etc., but frankly have never seen a fed Coral Banded Shrimp act that way, in 35+ years.

I'm just not getting this one ... ?

prod_display.cfm

Reading the reference I was reminded that they are actually called Red Banded-Coral Shrimp (not 'CBS' as we often say it).

A type of cleaner shrimp and are a favorite.

See section on 'Ecology' in below link.

a>

They are scavengers ... Sure, he was cleaning up the scraps, but wasn't involved in the crime.

They are also known to clean fish of parasites and necrotic tissue, especially when smaller.

I will bet on this one.

ichthyoid;816078 wrote: Are we all talking about the same organism here?

I've had mantis shrimp that killed and ate fish, etc., but frankly have never seen a fed Coral Banded Shrimp act that way, in 35+ years.

I'm just not getting this one ... ?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+525+698&pcatid=698">http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+525+698&pcatid=698</a>[/QUOTE]

Yes that is who we are talking about here.

Kirkwood;816117 wrote: Yes that is who we are talking about here.

Yep, same here. I gave him the benefit of the doubt several times and kept him around way too long. It's possible/probable I didn't feed him enough but no doubt after so much loss he was definitely the culprit.

Back