Coral Banded Shrimp

dave

Market
Reaction score
We have had ours for 2 weeks and he seems to be doing great. Just molted yesterday. We feed him every day a small piece (half the size of a pea) of frozen cooked shrimp or fish.

What do you feed yours and how much and how often? Do we need to add anything so he keeps his colors bright?

Thanks for any info!

I've had a CBS in my reef for about two years, and a pair of golden banded in another tank for about a year. They eat everything and anything that is left over from feeding. I agree with Barb, just maintain good water quality through periodic water changes and you should be fine.
BZ

You can still supplement now and then with the shrimp though if you want. We've had ours for about a year and a half. Ours will literally do a dash across the aquarium if he sees the tongs come into the tank - feeding is part of the fun of having these SW tanks! We feed ours about once a week; his fave is krill, but he'll eat pretty much whatever we offer. Again, we don't feed him because he can't find his food elsewhere within the tank, but rather for the fun factor (and he sure doesn't seem to mind! ;) )

I'm not sure if it will have any effect, but most people recomend uncooked vs. cooked. They don't use grills in the wild.;)

If you have a refugium, it should have bristleworms in it. Coral Bandeds love those, so fish a couple out to feed as a treat.

Tracey – Yea, looks like he’s on CRACK when we feed him. We like to watch how he walks sideways to get to it and never takes his eyes off of us!

Jamie – OK, that makes sense but I think he prefers the cooked because if you look in his cave…on the back deck he has this tiny little grill and lawn chair set up. :lol2:

George – Thanks! Boy do I have the bristle worms!

watch out though i had one pick at my corals once, they are big eaters i had to ditch mine becase he got to big and to aggressive towards the fish and coral when it was feeding time.

Barbara;193357 wrote: Mine got enormous and would actually reach in and take food from the anemone's mouth. She also attacked fish for the food. I was so glad when she finally met her great reward. I replaced her with skunk cleaners and have never been happier with the replacements.
o yea mine woulud do the same i would have to get a stick and push him away. I would have to say they are not good shrimp if you have a small tank.

Barbara;193357 wrote: Mine got enormous and would actually reach in and take food from the anemone's mouth. She also attacked fish for the food. I was so glad when she finally met her great reward. I replaced her with skunk cleaners and have never been happier with the replacements.

Peppermint shrimp are little @$$holes as well. Mine tore up a beautiful elegance coral stealing mysis.

Back