Coral Buying

snarky shark

Supporting
Reaction score
This can be addicting when looking at all the beautiful corals entering offers on the site and in the stores.

I know a lot do online purchases as well but does anyone participate in WWC coral club to get monthly or every couple months some new coral. I was thinking about getting it but am slightly hesitant at the moment. Thoughts on subscription?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Personally I’d rather pick out specifically what I want and when I want it rather than being tied to a subscription. In my opinion subscriptions are not necessarily bad but they can lead to overcrowding a tank in purchasing some corals that personally I didn’t want. That’s my two cents… It’s kind of quantity versus quality in my Mind.

I think the coral club Idea is great from a business perspective, but from a buyers perspective, no way! If you buy corals Indefinitely, never slowing down, and you always buy from big retailers like WWC, then you will save money. But that’s a lot of ifs.

In this hobby, you will quickly reach a point in which you no longer have real estate for new corals. Plus, choosing each individual coral makes it more personalized for you.

But also, you’ll save more money by shopping around. This applies not only to corals, but also to all areas of life.

I bought a mystery 9 pack a few weeks ago during one of the lightning sales on R2R. I wasn't nearly fast enough on the auctions otherwise. Take a look because I think it could be similar to the monthly subscription depending on whether you choose to specialize, like the zoa pack for example, or not. I did kick the idea around myself, but I would only do it if my intention were to turn around and sell them. It might be worth it for a couple of months, if you don't have many corals and aren't picky about what you get.

It has also been interesting to compare these against some corals I already had. For example, I got a neon green birdsnest. It's not nearly as green as the birdsnest I got from the club frag swap last fall that I love. On the flip side, the WWC radioactive zoa is way nicer than the ones I have that I believe were called dragon eyes. I need to give these new corals some time to adjust to my tank parameters to see how they level out. All are doing well so far except the chrome dome favia, that one is fading.

IMG_7520_edit.jpg

The real estate aspect was my biggest concern but I was also hesitant on the level of coral that would be sent. Actually I wouldn't want gsp. Had them once before and almost took over entire tank. Had to break down some rocks to trade in. All good feedback, thanks for the input.

I think if you look around on ARC you'll find what you're looking for without paying retail prices. Those subscriptions are often used to get rid of the corals that stores can't sell :p

So I did a count of all of the $5 frags from the last 2 sales and honestly I’m not impressed by wwc at all. That’s why I feel like if I were to get a subscription pack, one of them will bound to be gsp/birdsnest/etc

So I did a count of all of the $5 frags from the last 2 sales and honestly I’m not impressed by wwc at all. That’s why I feel like if I were to get a subscription pack, one of them will bound to be gsp/birdsnest/etc

Same. I actually actively dislike WWC. I've never been treated so poorly in a store and talked down to (and this happened twice before crossing them off my list), probably because I'm one of the few females in the hobby. Everything is incredibly overpriced as well. Almost any other store would be a better choice to purchase from.

Same. I actually actively dislike WWC. I've never been treated so poorly in a store and talked down to (and this happened twice before crossing them off my list), probably because I'm one of the few females in the hobby. Everything is incredibly overpriced as well. Almost any other store would be a better choice to purchase from.
Funny you mention that. Even some of the sake prices during time splitter live sale were called out for being too high.

Funny you mention that. Even some of the sake prices during time splitter live sale were called out for being too high.

Good for the people calling them out! I watched a little of that live sale, and none of the prices were 'sale' prices. Our local stores have much better prices and selection! Got some great little cristatas at Nemo yesterday for $25!

I'm to the point where I'm really only buying from a few people and all are ARC vendors or members . Quality is way more valuable then price to me . I'd rather buy something that's been grown out and was fragged for space vs a farmed out little stick .

Like someone else said from a retail POV it's awesome. From a retail side it's not .Find some local dealers and develop a relationship with them. You're going to end up with better quality and better pricing than anything online anyway.

Good for the people calling them out! I watched a little of that live sale, and none of the prices were 'sale' prices. Our local stores have much better prices and selection! Got some great little cristatas at Nemo yesterday for $25!

what!!!! let me see if i understand you correctly: you mean you don't appreciate the sales price of a muy verde birdsnest for $23 and a white centered gsp for $13? lol

but yeah buy local from hobbyists and lfs.

I did WWC coral club for three months and ended up cancelling it. There were a few very interesting pieces but it was mostly junk that I just give away anyways. I ended up cancelling primarily because one piece came in with a pretty nasty parasite on it. Caught it with QT but that could've been bad...

I've been thinking about doing the coral club with eye catching coral just for variety though... but theirs is more cost effective at $600 for 50 different corals a month.

I did WWC coral club for three months and ended up cancelling it. There were a few very interesting pieces but it was mostly junk that I just give away anyways. I ended up cancelling primarily because one piece came in with a pretty nasty parasite on it. Caught it with QT but that could've been bad...

I've been thinking about doing the coral club with eye catching coral just for variety though... but theirs is more cost effective at $600 for 50 different corals a month.
50 corals a month! That will get your tank filled up quick.

Back