Coral coloration?

FutureInterest

Market
Reaction score
So I got some SPS from ouling, the master of the browned out corals! What lighting temp would you guys recommend to get these colored up? Is it the higher the kelvin the better or is it about intensity?

The only one I'm concerned about is the valida. His browned out after changing tanks and even after 2 months of his intense lighting it's still brown. If its all about par then I would think this thing would've gotten its color back as Ouling's tank has the yellowest lights I've ever seen! Two 400 watters over a 65 gallon tank that is relatively shallow.

All my sps have nice coloration, but its probably more from luck than anything else. I'd like to understand this aspect of the hobby a lil better.

SPS color is affected by four things, stability, nutrients in water, flow and lighting..... No onething can make it happen, all in combination will, get the right combination, you get good colors..... Ofcourse some are just brown though. BTW, your tyree is almost ready just waiting for it to encrust a little more... will let you know soon.

On the Vivid Aquariums website:

<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Problem: My SPS corals are turning brown and I have nuisance algae caused by phosphates.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Solution: Phosphates are a common cause of brown or dull colored coral. A phosphate reactor will help create a vivid tank. I suggest using Phos Reactor with http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=04-1861-10"><span style="color: #0000ff;">ROWA phos</span></a>[/B] media. It can also decrease the growth of nuisance algae.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"></span>
[IMG]http://www.vividaquariums.com/aquariumsupply.asp">http://www.vividaquariums.com/aquariumsupply.asp</a>

Anyone ever heard of phosphates making corals turn brown?

Case in point for people to attend the meeting. Our last meeting was given by an expert in the field regarding coral coloration!

At any rate, there are many "ideas" as to why corals brown. Genetics is definitely one of them, but one of the leading theories is that the zooxanthellae in the corals is under population explosion from excess nutrients (especially phosphate). Since all zooxanthellae are brown, it grows to the point of "overpowering" the color. After Dana Riddles talk, I am doubting this theory a little, but it is currently the strongest.

By the way, Jin, I sent you a PM.

Thanks, Panda- I think I'll test my phosphates tonight. BTW, what is an "acceptable" level for an SPS tank, and what can a phosban reactor get levels down to?

hmm the valida frag you gave me Jin is doing really nice, getting all kinds of purple and green. I love my Iwasakis! I wouldnt say I have extreme flow where its at either. Plus I tinkered with my skimmer and its doing better than ever. I've done the best think I think anyone can do to their tank with SPS....leave it alone! I havnt moved anything or done anything major in awhile and everything is growing extremely well!

wbholwell;85307 wrote: Thanks, Panda- I think I'll test my phosphates tonight. BTW, what is an "acceptable" level for an SPS tank, and what can a phosban reactor get levels down to?

Just remember that most PO4 test kits are not adequately accurate to the degree we need given the difference a reading of .1 and .03 makes...

You want to shoot for .03 or less for SPS (that's the general rule at least...)

Levels that low are really only accurately detectable on a colorimeter or some of the high end test kits like Hach. Even Salifert is only accurate to a point--lower than 1ppm and I've read the salifert kits are not reliable.

Thanks, Jesse. Yes, I read that a PO4 reading of .03 to .04 ppm is ideal, but I doubt my test kit will accuarately read that low. Any suggestions on where to buy a Hach kit?

Once in a while it is not a bad idea to get your water tested professionally. The testkits are not that accurate and some are down right wrong for the worse. Aquariumwatertesting.com does this, It is a little pricey, but once a year isn't that bad, you will have a baseline to work with. They may give a deal if enough members wanted to get it tested.

I'd be in for getting a batch professionally tested. We should organize something.

Jin, I too have some of ouling's brown stuff. I put one under 400w ushio 14k and another under 250w xm10k. The 14K seems to be doing better at this point. The par is similar (I tested), so I don't think it is so much the par thing...seems to be more about the spectrum.

Skriz;85352 wrote: I'd be in for getting a batch professionally tested. We should organize something.

If enough folks are interested I can try and put together a batch and send it in for results. I know UGA also does something similar to it, but it has been a while and not sure what all they do and how much it is now.

Im in for the professional testing, the monthly is looking nice too.

Count me in for professional testing if the price is pseudo-reasonable (vague, I know)

I have requested them for some details on pricing and such, I will start a new thread once I hear back from them. Currently they charge $100 for four tests, So if we go maybe 10-20, individuals, we should get a decent rate, my guess is about $20 each. we will see.

Man, you can buy a Hanna colorimeter for $170, and get a lifetime of high-grade test results (well, you do need to buy replacements for reagents...) I have actually been kicking around the idea of buying one. Definitely go check out the thread of the month in this month's reefkeeping online: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1182318">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1182318</a>

The Hach kit is about $75-$100 I think. I happen to have one and would be happy to test anyone's PO4 levels, but you would have to come to Macon since I don't think I'm going to make the next meeting...

Give me your water and I test it at my school lab for you. It is more accurate than anything on the market.

I got the best coloration when I used non-filtered tap water with a TDS of 165 (due to drought) when I raised these corals in my sump. No, I'm not joking in this case. I have photos to prove this. The color came back strong after 3 weeks in this type of water without as much flow as I do now, and with 150% less light.

Back