coral help

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
I have a leather coral that was doing great up until this week, and it has quickly deteriorated. I also have a few soft polyp colonies that have not been opening up 100%, and I have a few mushrooms that are not as big and fluffy as usual.
What should I test for? The only new addition is an emerald crab I got last week.
ph ~8ish
amonia 0
nitrate/nitrite 0
phosphate close to 0, but not quite
calcium 450

Can you describe how the leather is deteriorated? and what kind of leather? I know that at times, mine will "close up" and not extend any polyps for a up to a couple of days. They always bounce back, with the exception of my Fiji Yellow which the GBTA parked itself on...lost that one. Also, any other leathers in the tank close by? They will do some warefare from what I understand.

yes running carbon. the leather is isolated on the side of the tank. its a piece of devils hand (browinsh) and its starting to look purple and shrunk.

Oh, I also somewhat recently added a korilla 3 (replacing a much slower powerhead). could it be too much flow?

theplatypus;215909 wrote: It sounds like it is starting to shed.

so should I toss it or is it growing? lol, sorry. I never had a leather before this frag, and it took a month just to fully bond to the rock, but it looked great a week ago...so I have no idea what I am doing.

I turned off my korilla 3 this morning and my mushrooms look better, so it could have been to much flow for them. I still have one whole colony of psp (both my gsp colonies look good) and that leather looking bad.

mine did this it took a month or so to attach to a rock and then it was fine for 2 days and then looked bad for 3 or 4 days. It bounced back and looks better than ever now and has been that way for about a month or 2 now.

Good luck

Strange...my figi leather has been doing the same thing. Err...uhh...maybe is a Fall thing. I have had it for several months now and it has looked great. But a few days ago it began to look bad. I just assumed it was going through a "phase" of some kind cuz my water parms are all good. Did an extra water change just in case though.

I find leather's to be really hard to kill. I've got one that keeps coming back in the same spot even though I rip it off and scrape the rock... I'm pretty sure its just "shedding" as John said. When in doubt though I always recommend a water change.

Back