Coral I.D.!!!Cactus coral???Montipora???

jason sartain

Market
Reaction score
Does anybody have a cabbage,and/or a cactus?PICS?
Kristie bought a LG (12 to 14" Dia) shelving type of coral with small polyps all over it and we can't tell what it is?
It is redish brown in color and we can see it starting to "fan"out around the edges.
We we're told it was not growing right in the other owners tank and we thought we would try.
Anybody help us out?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
250988=14353-New coral 001.jpg
>
250988=14353-New coral 001.jpg
class="gc-images" title="New coral 001.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
250988=14354-New coral 002.jpg
>
250988=14354-New coral 002.jpg
class="gc-images" title="New coral 002.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
250988=14355-New coral 003.jpg
>
250988=14355-New coral 003.jpg
class="gc-images" title="New coral 003.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

here is a couple of pics of the cabbage that i have.....

DSCN2618.jpg
alt="" />

DSCN2617.jpg
alt="" />

By the polyps and structure it look like a tableing montipora of some sorts.

it's hard to tell for sure, so here is an uneducated guess.
it's a montipora that was having issues. it looks like partial die off & regrowth.

We kinda thought this too because we got a orange monti cap from reef1973 the other day and they seem similer,but you never know?
I guess we'll find out after it grows some more.
Thanks

Ralph,the whole coral is alive and well,it just looks like it never plated?
The small plates are from a month of growth in good water conditions.
Thanks
mysterybox;251094 wrote: it's hard to tell for sure, so here is an uneducated guess.
it's a montipora that was having issues. it looks like partial die off & regrowth.

jason sartain;251100 wrote: Ralph,the whole coral is alive and well,it just looks like it never plated?
The small plates are from a month of growth in good water conditions.
Thanks

ok, well that's cool. I saw what it appeared to be green (algae), but I guess not. I didn't see any polyps either at that spot. But, like I said, too hard to tell. It doesn't matter either way because if you give it great water conditions, it'll grow like mad anyway! I'm glad you got it going good!

Yea I took the picture this morning with the lights off and with a flash,and everyone of the little round dots on the coral is a polyp when their extended,when it's out all the way it is covered in polyps!
I didn't know if it was a SPS or some kind of LPS?
mysterybox;251103 wrote: ok, well that's cool. I saw what it appeared to be green (algae), but I guess not. I didn't see any polyps either at that spot. But, like I said, too hard to tell. It doesn't matter either way because if you give it great water conditions, it'll grow like mad anyway! I'm glad you got it going good!

Back