Coral ID and placement suggestions

rcrain

Market
Reaction score
My wife and I picked up this frag at the expo yesterday, but I cannot remember where the seller said the coral likes to be placed. I believe he said it is a yellow tipped, short polyp goniapora (or something like that), but I couldn't find it when I tried to look it up. The polyps haven't opened yet (most likely due to stress of the move) so I want to make sure it will be happy in its new home. Any suggestions?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
956938=53953-image.jpg
>
956938=53953-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Better light.
956939=53954-image.jpg
>
956939=53954-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Oops
956940=53955-image.jpg
>
956940=53955-image.jpg

*crickets chirping* :(

I did a little more research and it seems they like strong lighting with moderate water movement. I have it currently placed in the middle/bottom of the tank under led's with some decent water movement so I'm hoping this will suffice. The seller at the expo did say this type of gono is more hardy than than other types of gonos so if someone has any experience with them, I'm all ears.

Goniopora sp. They are more of a lagoon dweller so moderate flow and a bit more nutrient in the water is what they prefer. I suggest getting some Goniopower from Two Little Fishies to feed it.

Goniopora are a bit tricky to keep. Yes, some of the captive propagated ones do a bit better, but they are still a bit touchy.

Jenn

Back